Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Something Wicked by Michelle Rowen


Title:  Something Wicked
Author: Michelle Rowen
My Rating: A-



Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Living In Eden #2
Main Characters: Darrack & Eden
Release Date: October 2010


ISBN978-0425237465

Publisher: Penguin
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Living in Eden isn't exactly heaven on earth...
Darrak, the demon inside of Eden Riley, is able to take physical shape during the day. And Eden wouldn't mind getting her hands on him-if it wasn't a threat to her immortal soul. But while trying to rid themselves of the curse that binds them, they could get the distance they need...or each have their own private hell to pay.

My Review:
This is a book that I picked up entirely on a whim a couple of weeks ago. The cover was super-sexy (I know, I am a cover-slut) and the story line was intriguing. What I didn't realize at the time was that this is the second book in an Urban Fantasy series. No, I haven't read book #1, but that did not affect my enjoyment of this book at all. This is a fabulous book with a really interesting and creative premise.

Eden is a human. She's psychic and has, on occasion, worked with the police on their investigations. It was while she was on one of those investigations that a person was killed. That person just happened to be possessed with the archdemon Darrack. He found himself in need of a new host and Eden was there, but his possession of Eden is different than any other human possession that he has done over the last 300 years. Because she is psychic, she can hear him in her mind during the night when he resides in her body. During daylight, he has his own physical form...it just can't be further away from her than 100 yards.

During the progression of the first book, somehow Eden ended up as a Black Witch. The issue with that is, calling on her black magic will doom her soul to hell as will having sex with the very sexy Darrack. They had sex once in the last book so she already has a mark against her soul. Neither one of them want any more, so no more sex, regardless of how bad they both want it.

It's a very sexy book with a lot of sexual tension. Eden & Darrack spend all the time in very close proximity, so it is difficult for them to resist the draw to one another. 

Darrack has also been dealing with some other issues. He has always been a demon...Satan created him from hellfire, so he has never had to deal with human emotional issues. He has never had a conscience or had to deal with any kind of human feelings, but after 300 years within human hosts, especially the goodness of Eden, that is changing. Humanity is becoming part of his persona especially when it comes to Eden and his growing feelings for her. This is even more apparent to him as his friend and fellow archdemon Theo comes on the scene and starts razzing him about his newfound humanity. 

This was, quite simply, a great book with a great story and a great cast of characters. I can't wait to see where the series goes from here. I don't know if I will go back and read book #1. I am sure it would be an equally fantastic read, but I feel like I know everything about what happened there. Regardless, I can guarantee that I will be reading book #3, That Old Black Magic, which comes out December 6th.

2 comments:

paperbackdaydreamer.com said...

Great review Christi. I don't think I've heard of this series before. I'm happy to see that you are planning on continuing with the series even though you don't think you'll go back to read book 1. I'll be interested to see what you think of That Old Black Magic.

Ally said...

Great review! I've always wanted to try something by this author and although had plans to read Nightshade I read some unhappy reviews with that book some maybe this is something I'll check out later! :)