Monday, November 28, 2011

She Can Run by Melinda Leigh



Title:  She Can Run
Author: Melinda Leigh
My Rating: A




Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: -
Main Characters: Beth & Jack
Release Date: November 2011

ISBN: 978-1612181516
Publisher: Montlake Romance
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
One bad decision turns Elizabeth Baker from a soccer mom into a fugitive. Five years after the death of her young husband, Beth marries a charming congressional candidate. But Beth accidentally learns a secret about her new spouse, a secret he’ll kill her to keep. Now she and her children are running for their lives. She takes a job as caretaker on a secluded estate, but her plans to hide are complicated by the sudden death of her elderly boss and her attraction to the ex-cop with well-defined biceps, mussed hair and deep, dark chocolate eyes who inherits the property and becomes her new boss.
Still reeling from the accident that has him out of work as a cop, former homicide detective Jack O’Malley is blindsided by the death of his favorite uncle and the inheritance of a dilapidated mansion, complete with a suspiciously nervous caretaker and her two children. He is even more unprepared for the tug at his heart every time Beth enters the room. When Jack’s instincts tell him something is wrong with his new employee, he begins to investigate. As he uncovers the shocking details of Beth’s life, a local woman falls prey to a serial killer and Beth is the victim of a frightening attack. Jack resolves to keep her and the children safe—whatever it takes, if only he can figure out a way to win her trust.



My Review:
I was asked to read an ARC of this novel by Melinda Leigh, an author that I had never read before. I like romantic suspense and the plot sounded good, so I said, Yes. Oh my goodness, I had no idea what a treat I was in for. I loved this book. The plot is FANTASTIC. The action is non-stop. I was riveted to the book from the moment I started it until I sadly reached the final page. It was one of those books that I did not want to end because it was so good. 


I absolutely fell in love with these characters, Beth and her kids Katie & Ben, who are so obviously scarred and scared from the abuse they have suffered. It is painful to watch how they all react to human touch and how they have so obviously been traumatized.


Then there is Jack....ooh, I adored Jack. Jack is a police detective who has been forced into retirement after a car accident left him with a bum (and painful) knee. He is a protector at heart, and although he has been thrown into this situation with Beth and her kids out of the blue, he can see that something has hurt them and doesn't have the heart to turn them out. Watching him slowly and steadily win over this family is a gorgeous thing to read. Between him and his dog, Henry (the failed police dog,) they are exactly what this family needs and they quickly discover that they need the family too.


There is also a great cast of supporting characters whom I loved, especially the depth that they added to the story:
*Quinn & Sean- Jack's cousins
*James- Beth's uncle
*Mrs. Harris- Jack's housekeeper


The suspense story line has a lot going on with it. There is Beth's abusive and murderous Senator husband who is after them, but there is also a serial killer that has Beth in his sights. Both of these stories climax within about 3 pages of each other in the book and I thought that was a bit over the top, but that was my only complaint about this book. I didn't mind that the book had both story lines in it. I just wish the climax of the end of both story lines had completely intersected or that the finale for both of them had been a little more spaced out. 


Regardless, it was still an amazing book. I will definitely be looking up more by this author!

No comments: