Friday, November 11, 2011

Blood Rights by Kristen Painter


Title:  Blood Rights
Author: Kristen Painter
My Rating: A



Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: House of Comarre #1
Main Characters: Chrysabelle & Malkolm
Release Date: October 2011
ISBN978-0316084772
Publisher: Orbit
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Born into a life of secrets and service, Chrysabelle's body bears the telltale marks of a comarré -- a special race of humans bred to feed vampire nobility. When her patron is murdered, she becomes the prime suspect, which sends her running into the mortal world...and into the arms of Malkolm, an outcast vampire cursed to kill every being from whom he drinks.
Now, Chrysabelle and Malkolm must work together to stop a plot to merge the mortal and supernatural worlds. If they fail, a chaos unlike anything anyone has ever seen will threaten to reign.

My Review:
Wow, what an incredibly creative book. I have been hearing good buzz about this book and since the author was going to be at Readers and Ritas, I decided that it would be a good one for me to check out. (Besides, look at that gorgeous cover....I just want to stare at it and let it inspire me creatively.) OMG, this book is so freaking good. 


This book is about Chrysabelle who is a comarre, which is basically the vampire equivalent of a geisha. She has been raised and bred to provide only the purest of blood to her patron, the one that has bought her for those rights. Chrysabelle was bought for the highest price ever paid for a comarre, so she is absolutely the best of the best. But when her patron is murdered, she becomes a suspect and gets sucked into the politics and intrigue of the vampire world. 


A set of bizarre circumstances brings her into Malkolm's world. Mal is a tortured vampire who has been outcast from the vampire world and cursed. His curse is that anyone he drinks from (via a vein) will die and then their ghost/soul will haunt him for eternity. He spends his life on the edge of starvation and insanity and the close proximity of the scent of Chrysabelle pushes him closer to that insanity every day.


This book is chock-full of a whole cast of characters and world that is so well-defined and creative. There is so much going on as it twists and turns, it keeps you guessing and captivated from the very beginning. There was one shock at the end that took me completely and utterly by surprise and gasping out loud. 


This is an urban fantasy, not romance, and as such, there is an incredible level of sexual tension between Chrysabelle and Mal. It's there, but it is so subtle and so well-written, that it's not obvious. Really, really amazing writing to this book. From what I understand there are going to be three books to this series. I am ready to dive into book #2 right now, even though it is 11:00 at night. I have heard rumors that it is even better than book #1 was, but I find that hard to believe because this book was really, really very good!! I highly recommend it!!!

2 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I really liked Blood Rights too! She did a fantastic job at building that world!

Julie said...

Okay, yeah. This book sounds awesome. I am writing it in my planner and will hopefully be able to read is soon. Nice job Christi. You made me add yet another book to my planner. Go you. ;)