Friday, November 25, 2011

Archangel's Consort by Nalini Singh




Title:  Archangel's Consort

Author: Nalini Singh
My Rating: A-



Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Guild Hunter #3
Main Characters: Raphael & Elena
Release Date: January 2011
ISBN: 978-0425240137
Publisher: Berkley
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
An ancient and malevolent female immortal is rising in Manhattan to reclaim her son, the archangel Raphael. Only one thing stands in her way: Elena Deveraux, a vampire-hunter-and Raphael's lover.


My Review:
There is one single fact that makes this book a winner for me and that is that this book shows wonderfully the huge growth between Raphael & Elena and where their relationship stands. They are both such strong, independent people and it is so difficult for either one of them to compromise on their position. But through their love, they have learned that they have to compromise for their relationship to exist and survive.


One of the things that ties Raphael & Elena together is that they were abandoned in their time of need by their mothers. This is a huge part of the story line in this book and I loved how they recognize the need for comfort when those memories arise and how they let that need strengthen their bond to each other. This book focuses a lot on those family relationships...through Raphael's mother who is re-awakening and Elena's extremely strained relationship with her father who needs her help although he HATES to admit it. 


This book has a better glimpse into the psyche's of several of Raphael's Seven. The more I see and learn about these guys, the more intrigued I become about their stories. I am hoping that there are lots and lots of follow-up books to this series so that we get the individual stories of all of them. Right now my favorite remains to be Illium, but I feel myself drawn to Aodhan and the mystery of why he is so internally wounded to the point where he cannot stand the touch of anyone else.


There were some interesting twists to this book that helped me to enjoy it more than I did book #2, although it continued along the same obsession with Elena's childhood. There seemed to be a more natural ease to that portion of the story line than there was in book #2. 


I liked the re-introduction of Elena's life as a Guild Hunter and definitely liked seeing her friend and fellow hunter, Ransom, again. I love his character! One of the things that makes these books so good is the group of characters especially in how varied their personalities are. I like to watch Elena work all the characters. She definitely has learned how to work people over the years which is so different from the way that Raphael's autocratic personality just orders people and he expects them accept his directive. Because of their very different ways of approaching people, they form a very good team and definitely bring out the best in each other.


Another great addition to this fabulous series!

No comments: