Monday, October 17, 2011

Val's Rancher by Debra Kayn


Title:  Val's Rancher
Author: Debra Kayn
My Rating: B+



Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: - Sisters of McDougal Ranch #2
Main Characters: Sam & Val
Release Date: October 2011
ISBN: e-book
Publisher: Carina Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
Val McDougal knows all about heartbreak. First, the love of her life, Sam Turner, left to join the rodeo circuit two years ago. Now she faces a new kind of pain—her beloved father is dying. The last thing she needs is Sam's unexpected return to Pike, Montana, to take over his family's ranch, stirring up desires Val doesn't think she can handle.
Sam knows he made the biggest mistake of his life when he broke things off with Val. He's determined to win her back, this time for good. But despite the sizzling heat between them, Val keeps pulling away. He has to convince her to trust him—and her own heart—again, especially as the time draws near when she'll need him the most...
Book two of the Sisters of McDougal Ranch series. Look for book one, Chantilly's Cowboy, available now.
43,000 words

My Review:
I am really enjoying this series about the five McDougal sisters. This is book #2 and is about Val, the youngest of the sisters. She owns the bar in this small Montana town and has made a good place for herself at the young age of 23. Two years ago, her heart was shattered when the love of her life, Sam, left to pursue a life on the rodeo circuit and to give Val a chance to "grow up." In the meantime, Val has had to deal with her father's diagnosis of ALS and the rapid decline of his health.

She has a lot of stress in her life and is not happy when Sam suddenly comes back to town. She can't afford to have her heart broken again, especially not right now.

There is a lot to recommend about this book:
*Family story line- I love the five girls and how they rely upon one another. They were basically raised by their father, because their mother died when Val was young of cancer. As a result, they have all been very close.
*I like this small town esp. the town sheriff and how he is always looking out for Val...he is simply a friend. He is also a good friend to Sam, but he seems to stand by Val more and I like that.
*The hints of books to come. There are still three sisters left and we get to see glimpses of their upcoming story lines in this book.
*I like that Val runs the town bar and is her own independent person. She hasn't let her heartbreak with Sam keep her from living her life to the fullest.

What I wasn't too sure about:
*The reason for the conflict in the story. To me, this just didn't quite ring true that Val would be more concerned about Sam dying because everyone around her dies, rather than her being upset with the fact that he left her for two years. There was a legitimate reason for conflict in this story line. I just felt like it came the most heavily from the wrong reason. To me, the other could come into play too, but the weight of the two issues just felt it should be reversed to me.
*I didn't feel like we got to "know" Sam as well as I would have liked to especially his real reasons for leaving. If the story could have been a tiny bit longer, I would have liked to visit into his psyche deeper.

Overall, I did really enjoy this book. I enjoyed book #1, Chantilly's Cowboy, too. You can see that review HERE and I am definitely looking forward to more of the sister's HEA's.

1 comment:

paperbackdaydreamer.com said...

Great review Christi. I can understand why the reason for Val not wanting to trust Sam or let him get closer to her would be a little iffy. If it were me then my first thought would be that if he can leave once then he can leave again. I wouldn't be able to trust him to stick around. I would be fearful of death if he wanted to keep up with his rodeoing because it's so dangerous but that wouldn't be a reason to not trust him or let him in closer to you. But I still like the basis behind this series and I look forward to your review of book 3. :-)