Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Touch of Crimson by Sylvia Day


Title: Touch of Crimson
Author: Sylvia Day
My Rating: A-

Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Renegade Angels #1
Main Characters: Adrian & Lindsay


Release Date: October 2011
ISBN: 978-
0451234995

Publisher: Signet
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
Adrian Mitchell is a powerful angel leading an elite Special Ops unit of Seraphim. His task is to punish the Fallen-angels who have become vampires-and command a restless pack of indentured lycans. But Adrian has suffered his own punishment for becoming involved with mortals- losing the woman he loves again and again. Now, after nearly two hundred years, he has found her-Shadoe-her soul once more inhabiting a new body, with no memory of him. And this time, he won't let her go.


My Review:
What an amazing first book in the series!! This is a complicated world with a complicated set of rules governing it, but the book was NOT confusing. That being said though, I do feel like I need to re-read it to catch all the nuances of this world. There are three basic groups to these books:
1. The Sentinels: a special ops group of angels in charge of taking care of the vampires and protecting mortals.
2. The Lycan: Shifters who are basically indentured servants of the Sentinels. They can sniff out vampires and act as bodyguards for the Sentinels.
3. The Fallen: Vampires who were angels, but procreated with humans and thus lost their wings and gained a need for blood.
None of these groups truly trust the either, and all are on the verge of war. It's a fragile stability that falls apart in this book. 


This book is about Adrian. He is an angel. In fact, he is the angel in charge of the Sentinels. He fell in love with Shadoe, a Nephilum and daughter to the leader of the Fallen, many centuries ago and is now cursed with meeting with her lifetime after lifetime where she dies over and over leaving him alone in his immortality. The book starts with him meeting Lindsey in an airport. She is carrying Shadoe's soul, although she has no idea. She does have an idea of immortals though because she saw her birth mother murdered by vampires when she was only 5 years old. Since then, she has hunted vampires searching for vengeance.


Adrian is an Alpha with a capital A, and for the first time, Shadoe is in a form (under Lindsey) where she is not willing to bow down to his every want and need. She has a brain of her own and skills of her own and she is NOT going to sit on the sideline. Lindsey is tough and not willing to just sit back and accept things as they are...in life or with Adrian. She is proactive and she can kick butt with any one of these tough angels. Her personal bodyguard is Elijah. He's a Lycan and being watched because he shows signs of being an Alpha for the Lycan. The issue is that the Sentinels are in charge of the Lycan and they cannot allow a Lycan to usurp that role. I LOVED Elijah's character. He and Lindsey form a special friendship that was really truly sweet. His book is the next one in this trilogy and I cannot wait!!!


There is a lot going on, and I know that it sounds confusing, but it was such a freaking good book!!! Just trust me when I say that if you enjoy paranormal, you will enjoy this one. I really waffled between an A and an A- rating. The reason it ended up with an A- is because the book left it with so many questions still hanging, but it wasn't done in a bad way...no cliffhangers. There is definitely something/someone interfering with the peace between these three groups, and there is no clarity on that in this book. I foresee Lindsey having a hand in figuring it out since she is integral and tied to all three groups, but I could be totally wrong about that. I just know that I am excited to see where it goes from here!

5 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

This is on my agenda this month! I love Sylvia's writing and can't wait to dive in!

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

Grrr...I've heard so many great things about this book...plus the cover is awesome and you really liked it...except all the questions left hanging at the end...of course that's what so many series do. It's on my TBR list now!

Pamela {Spaz} said...

I have this slotted for October as well and can't wait to start it. Great review!

Julie said...

Wow. Now I want it. Great review Christi!

Christi Snow said...

This was my first Sylvia Day read, although I have her latest historical on my wish list. I really did enjoy it!! It even managed to pull me away from the Georgina Kincaid series for a bit. smiles....