Saturday, October 22, 2011

Slow Ride by Erin McCarthy

Title:   Slow Ride
AuthorErin McCarthy
My Rating: B-

Genre: contemporary romance
Series: Fast Track #5
Main Characters: Tuesday & Diesel (Daniel)

Release Date: October 2011
ISBN
978-0425243961
Publisher: Penguin
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
As a tribute to her late journalist father, Tuesday Jones is planning a career benefit, auctioning off racing memorabilia and meet-and-greets with drivers. Ex-racing star Diesel Lange has had his own brush with death, and is determined not to waste another minute of his life- especially when he meets Tuesday. He wants nothing more than to shift their romance into high gear, but he knows she's still grieving. Can Diesel do the one thing he could never do on the track and take it slow?

My Review:
Hmm, where to go with the review on this book? I enjoyed the process of reading this book. I was hooked from page 1 til the very end, but it was not a book that left me with a good feeling. Both Diesel and Tuesday have issues that they really aren't dealing with. Tuesday's father has just died and rather than dealing with her grief, she drinks. Diesel's driving career ended with a horrific crash that left him scarred both physically and mentally, but rather than deal with it, he ignores it. These are not two people that are really in a place where they can establish a healthy relationship, especially Tuesday. Instead, they settle into a pattern of happy, magical times and hot sex, followed by times where she drinks, they fight, and things go to hell. Then they start all over again. That would have been okay if those issues were resolved, but there was truly no resolution in this book, or true change in their behavior that I saw. I wanted to see them go through a lengthy, healthy measure of time together as a couple before I could buy that this is a relationship that is going to last past the first speed bump. 

Regardless, this was still an entertaining book. I really liked both Tuesday & Diesel's characters. They are COMPLETE opposites, but they have incredible chemistry that is sizzling. I loved that Diesel was this quiet, laid-back, unassuming guy, but was a total Dom in the bedroom...a great twist to his personality. In the same way, Tuesday is an in-your-face, tell-it-like-it-is kind of gal that is always the life of the party, but Diesel's Dom personality totally does it for her. Like I said, the sex is sizzling.

I really enjoyed both of these characters and how they interacted with each other... most of the time. I also loved getting to revisit the characters again from the past books. Honestly, I wouldn't have even minded the issues that were there for these two characters, if I felt like that there was true resolution for them. The conflict is good because any good book needs some conflict, but it just went on for too long, or else the book did not go on for long enough so that I could believe as a reader that these two could actually have a long, healthy relationship.

There are really some great moments in this book. Here are some of the fabulous quotes, to give you an idea of the fun that there is to be found in this book:

Tuesday pulled back and stared at him, her eyes searching his. Sniffling, her nose red, she said, "You're a nice guy, aren't you?"

Bemused, he told her, "We do exist. Hard to believe, I know."

She nodded.  "An endangered species. I don't think I've ever seen one in the wild."

Just so you know, I can be a badass, too." He wanted to make sure he didn't come off as a total pansy.

Tuesday laughed, wiping her cheeks free of tears. "Well, that just proves you're clearly all male. I give you a compliment and you want to make sure you're not appearing too sensitive. Typical."

1 comment:

Lover of Romance said...

Great Review!!! I haven't read this author but I would like to try soon....and I loved the section of quotes you put in, definitely want to read this one!!! I am your newest follower and looking forward to exploring through your site a bit more!!!