Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Real Men Will by Victoria Dahl


Title:  Real Men Will
Author: Victoria Dahl
My Rating: A-

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Donovan Brothers Brewery #3
Main Characters: Beth & Eric
Release Date: October 2011
ISBN: 978-0373776092
Publisher: Harlequin
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

I received this book from the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review.


Story Overview:
It was meant to be a one-night stand. One night of passion. Scorching hot. Then Beth Cantrell and Eric Donovan were supposed to go their separate ways. That’s the only reason he lied about his name, telling her he was really his wild younger brother. Hiding his own identity as the conservative Donovan. The “good” one.

But passion has its own logic, and Eric finds he cannot forget the sable-haired beauty with whom he shared one night of passion. When Beth discovers that Eric has lied, however, she knows he cannot be trusted. Her mind tells her to forget the blue-eyed charmer. If only every fiber of her being did not burn to call him back.

My Review:
I probably set out to read this book with too high of expectations. After the novella in The Guy Next Door featuring Beth & Eric, this is the Donovan book that I have been anticipating. Don't get me wrong, the book was VERY good....highly entertaining and incredibly steamy, but it just wasn't quite "all-that" for me. I didn't sense the chemistry emotionally between Eric & Beth that I had hoped for. They spent too much of the book at opposite ends and just having sex instead of building a relationship which made the "real love" of the relationship not work for me. They didn't finally get truly honest with each other until the very end, so for this book to have worked completely for me, I think that it would have needed another 100 pages of true relationship development.

What did work for me:
*Finally a good explanation of what has been up Eric's butt throughout the entire series. I liked that there finally was true resolution between Eric & Jamie.

*I loved the solution that Eric came up with to help resolve his restlessness at the brewery...so perfect for him!

*I continue to love the brewery setting. It makes such a fabulous background for the stories. 

*The incredible sex between Beth & Eric. They both maintain throughout this entire book that they are simply normal, boring people, but wow, do they combust when they are together. Seriously steamy sex in this one!! I liked the playfulness about this at the end.

*I liked the added dimension of Beth's newspaper column in the newspaper and the way that Eric would read it with a bit of dread of having to live up to expectations. There were definitely many giggle-worthy moments featuring this and the different aspects/perks of Beth's job.

While Beth & Eric's emotional connection was disappointing to me in this book, the overall book was another fabulous read in the Donovan Brothers series. This has been a FABULOUS series and I am going to miss these characters now that the trilogy is done.

2 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I am reading this one today! I am hoping that what is up Eric's hiney is thoroughly explained because I am having a hard time liking him!

paperbackdaydreamer.com said...

Grrr...another flippin series I need to read. :-( I'm never going to catch up on my TBR list am I?!