Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Intimate Whispers by Dee Carney


Title:  Intimate Whispers
Author: Dee Carney
My Rating: B+


Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Jason & Sabrina
Release Date: October 2011
ISBN: e-book
Publisher: Ellora's Cave
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: erotic

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.


Story Overview:
Whispers from the dead are everywhere…because their greatest desire is to be heard.

Sabrina Turner has found only one way to stop the curse she was born with—allow an incubus to worship her body in exchange for halting the voices drowning her sanity. Every time she succumbs, it’s an act of desperation. Yet she’s not sure if she wants to be rid of the bittersweet release.

All Jason Raines wants is to communicate one last time with his deceased brother. When he discovers his seductive neighbor speaks to the dead, it’s another reason to get close to her. The visions and cryptic dreams Sabrina’s experiencing are messages for him, he’s sure of it. Whatever her price, he’ll pay it. When a reluctant Sabrina opens the doorway to the other side, though, he discovers the cost may be higher than he first thought.

Her urgent search for freedom…his crucial need for absolution…a burning love between them offers their only hope of salvation from—intimate whispers.


My Review:
Dee contacted me and asked me to read and review this book for her. I read the blurb, it sounded interesting, and I like the way that Dee writes, so I said "sure." I had read the book description so I had a pretty good idea about the story line...I had no idea! OMG! This book was such a surprise, but so absolutely PERFECT for the month of October. Creepy is the first word that comes to mind. I would almost put it into a horror genre, but it was never truly a scary book...just seriously creepy!

Sabrina hears the voices of the dead...to the point that she cannot function. Once one voice realizes that she hears it, they all start to bombard her to the point where she cannot concentrate on the world around her. She can lose hours at a time, trying to escape the voices/ghosts. The only respite that she has found is by having sex with an incubus ghost. After she has sex with him, then the voices give her respite for a few days until his essence disappears from her and then the whole cycle starts up again. This ghostly lover can be wonderful and caring, but he can also be violent and harsh. He has violent moods where he abuses Sabrina. She can turn him away, but when she has done that in the past, the ghostly voices have attacked her that much more harshly. After years of being in and out of institutions and hospitals, she is perfectly willing to trade sex for her sanity.

Sabrina's sexy neighbor, Jason, came upon her one night while she was in the middle of one of these episodes at the neighborhood market. He managed to get her home and when he left her at her front door, she said something that could only come from his dead brother. Jason doesn't realize what's going on with Sabrina...he just thinks that she has a mental issue, but that voice from the dead starts to tie them together as Jason seeks answers and then becomes caught up in Sabrina's mental entanglements.

I started this book after everyone went to bed, and was riveted. It is a spooky, creepy story, but at  it's heart, is a great romance between Sabrina & Jason. Up until the very end, I couldn't see how this book was possibly going to end. She is caught up in such a vicious cycle which no one can control. But Jason...OMG, I loved this character. Wow! Talk about an amazing guy trying to save the damsel in distress. His character was awesome. 

This was not the book that I expected, but it was so good. So perfect for this month. And you need to know, I do not like horror or creepy, but I REALLY enjoyed this book. Really a great October read!!!

3 comments:

Missie said...

I wouldn't necessary super spooky based on the cover, so thanks for the review. Now I know I'll need to keep the lights on! Except maybe when I meet Jason. LOL

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Ok this sounds really really good! I don't read to many Ellora's cave books because sometimes they are just to much sex not enough story. This ones sounds like a good balance of both!

paperbackdaydreamer.com said...

Great review Christi. The cover is completely misleading, lol, it doesn't look creepy at all! It actually doesn't even spark me as a paranormal book but now I know I'm going to have to check this one out. :-) Thanks for the review Christi, I'm excited to see how it all turns out.