Monday, October 24, 2011

BoB #2 Read: Fitzwilliam Darcy Rock Star by Heather Lynn Rigaud


Title:  Fitzwilliam Darcy Rock Star
Author: Heather Lynn Rigaud
My Rating: A-


Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: - 
Main Characters: Lizzy & Will
Release Date: September 2011
ISBN978-1402257810
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Darcy's as hot as he is talented...
Fast music, powerful beats, and wild reputations-on and off stage-have made virtuoso guitarist Fitzwilliam Darcy's band into rock's newest bad boys. But they've lost their latest opening act, and their red-hot summer tour is on the fast track to disaster. Now Darcy and bandmates Charles Bingley and Richard Fitzwilliam are about to meet their match...
But she's about to rock his world...
Enter Elizabeth Bennet, fiercely independent star of girl-band Long Borne Suffering. Elizabeth, her sister Jane, and friend Charlotte Lucas have talent to spare and jump at the opening band slot. Elizabeth is sure she's seen the worst the music industry has to offer. But as the days and nights heat up, it becomes clear that everyone is in for a summer to remember.

My Review:
Okay, I probably should preface this review by saying that I am not a HUGE P&P fan. I like the story okay, have read the book a couple of times, own a couple of movies, but never really understood the horribly stand-offish attitude of Darcy. This book was a really, really good twist on the story though. And amazingly, it managed to tell a really fascinating story while staying VERY TRUE to the original. I am really impressed.
 
Like the original book, it takes a while for the characters and story lines to get established, before you get caught up in the story. I would guess that I was about 25% into the story when this happened for me.

In this version of the story, Fitzwilliam Darcy, Charles Bingley, and Richard Fitzwiliam make up the mega star rock-band, Slurry. They are two weeks away  from heading out on a 7-month tour and have lost their third opening band (there are rumors that they are impossible to work with and that's why no one stays.) They are trying out a new girl band, Long Borne Suffering, which is made up of Elizabeth & Jane Bennet, and Charlotte Lucas. The girls are thrilled to join the tour, but before they even begin, Elizabeth overhears Darcy warning the guys not to sleep with any of them, because the girls will just use them as a step on their way to fame...and the normal P&P story continues from there.

I really, really enjoyed the way that the story has been re-interpretted into the modern rock world. So creative!! The characters are the same. The overall set-up is the same. It has just been re-invented into the modern rock world. I don't know how Heather Lynn Rigaud did it so seamlessly!

*Lady Catherine de Bourgh is the record label exec in charge of the backing for both bands.
*George Wickham is a former bandmate of Slurry who was kicked out of the band and now makes music videos.
*Mr. Collins is the lackey from the label whose come to oversee things with the bands so that they don't screw up.
*Both Lizzy & Will are swimmers and often unwind after concerts by swimming in the hotel pools. A wet Darcy...yes, he's wet a LOT in this book.

The best thing is that this is Pride & Prejudice with HOT SEX!! OMG, they are rockers and they don't hold anything back. It's really fun to see them going at it!

Overall, I really enjoyed this one! Like I said, I am not a huge P&P fan, but it kept my attention and was definitely entertaining!! 

A tattoo'ed Fitzwilliam Darcy who's 6'5"....that's an idea that I can get behind.

BoB Haiku:
P & P Re-done.
A modern twist. Rock & Roll.
Tattoos. Darcy. LOVE!

1 comment:

shaunesay said...

Looks like you've read some great books so far, and 7 wow! I just finished my first one finally today, darn work anyway! I'm definitely interested in this one, I keep seeing it pop up, so I'm going to have to give it a try, I do love some good rock fiction! :) Good luck for the rest of the read-a-thon!