Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Twisted by Gena Showalter


Title: Twisted
Author: Gena Showalter
My Rating: A-

Genre: YA- Paranormal Suspense
Series:Intertwined #3
Main Characters: Victoria & Aden
Release Date: August 2011
ISBN978
-0373210381
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: very mild

Story Overview:
His vampire girlfriend might have brought him back to life, but he's never felt more out of control. There's a darkness within him, something taking over…changing him. Worse, because he was meant to die, death now stalks him at every turn. Any day could be his last.
Once upon a time, the three souls trapped inside his head could have helped him. He could have protected himself. But as the darkness grows stronger, the souls grow weaker—just like his girlfriend. The more vampire Aden becomes, the more human Victoria becomes, until everything they know and love is threatened.
Life couldn't get any worse. Could it?

My Review:
This book was not on my TBR list for this week, but my 16 year old teenage son has been reading this series with me and finished the book last night. He was so shattered by the book that he insisted I read it immediately so that we could discuss it. That should give you a hint of the upheaval in this book...there is a LOT of it.


This is an amazing series and it needs to be read as a series. These are not stand-alone books in my opinion. There is too much story that continues to build upon itself. This is book #3 in a series that is supposed to end with the next book. How in the world it is going to end, I have no idea. Quite honestly, I don't think Gena knows how it is going to end at this point. Every book, she talks about how hard they are to write, but that effort is evident in the quality of the books, because they are very good!


There are a core of four characters that flow throughout the series. 
*Aden- he was born with the souls of 4 other people living within his brain. He is 16 and throughout the series, he is trying to release those souls although they have been like his parents to him his entire life. He was raised in the foster system and spent most of his life in and out of institutions because of the souls and the prevailing thought that he is schizophrenic.


*Victoria- vampire princess and Aden's love interest. She goes through such a huge transition throughout this book as a person and vampire.


*Riley- wolf shifter and bodyguard for Victoria. His transition throughout this book was the most heart-breaking to me. I just hope that something changes for him in the next book. He is involved with MaryAnne.


*MaryAnne- human that is somehow connected to Aden. They were born the same day and when they met, it set off a chain of events that set off the entire series. At the end of this novel, she is in a very bad place...at least headed there. Things are not looking well for MaryAnne...thinking positive thoughts for book #4.


*Tucker- MaryAnne's ex-boyfriend and half-demon. He is in such a Catch 22. His story breaks my heart all the way around and I really did not like where it went in this book. Not sure that anything can change, but am still hoping for book #4.


This book really didn't end well for any of the characters. I can deal with that, BUT OMG, the next book isn't supposed to be out until June, 2013!?!?! I am not sure that I can deal with that. I think that I am going to have to go live with Gena while she is writing to make sure that she settles everything correctly for these characters that I have grown to love.

3 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I am still on the fence about this series and S.K.'s Nick series. Good to know it isn't to terribly angsty---I might be able to pick it up :)

Christi Snow said...

I have Nick's series, but haven't read it yet. Actually, right now, I think that set of books is residing in the teen's room. smiles....

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

I have the three books in this series sitting on my shelf. I'm going to read them during my YA monthly event at the beginning of next year! I'm glad you enjoyed it even though it left you at a bad place and you have to wait for almost a year before continuing on with the series!!!