Friday, September 2, 2011

Shiver of Fear by Roxanne St. Claire



Title:  Shiver of Fear
Author: Roxanne St. Claire
My Rating: B+


Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: Guardian Angelinos #2
Main Characters: Marc & Devyn
Release Date: April 2011
ISBN: 978-0446566599
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
The legacy that haunts her . . .
The mystery she must solve . . .
A man who threatens to reveal her secrets . . .
and break her heart.
Burned by a failed marriage, former FBI agent Marc Rossi wants back in the investigation game with no emotional strings attached. Taking an assignment for his enterprising Angelino cousins, he heads to Northern Ireland to pry a key piece of evidence from a missing socialite-any way he can. But when the ice queen turns out to be warm, beautiful, and on a secret mission of her own, the job becomes a passionate reminder of what happens when duty and desire mix. The daughter of an infamous fugitive, Devyn Sterling has survived betrayal only to find that her mother has mysteriously disappeared. When her search uncovers secrets, lies, and threats, Devyn and Marc must trust each other when every instinct says they can't . . . and a terrorist wants to make sure they won't live to try.

My Review:
Overall I really enjoyed this book. Roxanne St. Claire has such an amazing writing voice. I love the way that she puts a book together and the huge cast of characters that she builds up in this world. Really well done and well-written. From page one, she had my full attention and it never wandered far until the book was finished. I love getting immersed in a world to this extreme!

Set in Ireland, this book has a very different feel than the first book had, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It made the two stories very distinctive from each other which sometimes becomes an issue in a series like this, so I liked that about it. Another thing that set this book far apart from the first was Marc. He's a former FBI agent. He knows what he's doing and is fully trained to do the job. It gave a different feel than from dealing with Zach and Vivi who are still working to learn the security field. 

That brings us to the things that are the same in this second book from the first...the family! I love this family...every single one of them. We didn't get to see as much of them in this installment, but when they did show up, the scenes were complete perfection. The family dynamic with the Angelino's and Rossi's....ah, I just love it! The other thing that rocked in this book once again...the suspense!! OMG, I did NOT see all the twists and turns coming. I just kept gasping out loud. That is so awesome in a suspense book and definitely the sign of a good one!

Finally, we need to chat about the romance between Devyn & Marc. I really adored Marc's character. Honestly, what's not to love? He's charming. He's good-looking. He packs a gun and is willing to place his body in front of a bullet for the heroine. He has amazing integrity. And yes, his heart is more than a little wounded because once upon a time, he fell in love with the wrong woman...you have to love that little bit of vulnerability. I had a harder time with Devyn and that is probably because through so much of the story, she honestly was having a hard time accepting herself and where she belongs. So much of her self-worth was tied up in making a connection with her mother. On the one hand, I could understand that a bit, but I think that she became too obsessed in defining herself by her DNA. I just had a hard time relating to that part of her character, although my heart ached for her throughout so much of this book. Her internal pain is palpable and heartbreaking. The sexual tension between these two was so immense. They both have reasons for avoiding an entanglement and I was beginning to wonder if it was ever really going to happen, but this is a romance novel, so... It's all good...VERY GOOD!! ;o)

And now I am going to stop writing because I cannot wait to dig into book #3...finally Vivi's book and it looks like she is paired up with Agent Lang. Oh my! There are going to be huge fireworks in that book. I can't wait!!