Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Shift by Jeri Smith-Ready


Title:  Shift
Author: Jeri Smith-Ready
My Rating: A+




Genre: YA- Paranormal Romance
Series: Shade #2
Main Characters: Aura, Logan, & Zachary
Release Date: May 2011

ISBN978-1416994084
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
Aura’s life is anything but easy. Her boyfriend, Logan, died, and his slides between ghost and shade have left her reeling. Aura knows he needs her now more than ever. She loves Logan, but she can’t deny her connection with the totally supportive, totally gorgeous Zachary. And she’s not sure that she wants to.
Logan and Zachary will fight to be the one by her side, but Aura needs them both to uncover the mystery of her past—the mystery of the Shift.
As Aura’s search uncovers new truths, she must decide whom to trust with her secrets…and her heart.

My Review:
I ADORED this book!! Everything about this book is written simply perfectly. I loved the way that the story progressed from the first novel. There was so much heart and emotion written into this one. 

I liked how Aura had matured from the first book. She is so much more confident and sure about what she wanted in this book, although that doesn't mean that there weren't issues with Aura's lingering feelings for Logan, because there definitely were. My heart broke for her in this one. She knows that she wants Zach, but Logan is still a presence in her life which means that he maintains a corner of her heart. It's a no win situation for her, but I loved that she did maintain her honesty about those feelings with Zach at all times. I really respected her character for that. It would have been so easy to mislead and misrepresent her feelings so that she could have Zach, but she didn't do that.

In the same way, Zach had so much more to his personality in this one. His patience has been stretched to the absolute limit. He wants Aura, but doesn't know how to fight for her anymore. It's so hard to compete against a ghost, but he honestly does it brilliantly in this book. Almost everything that he did in this book made him capture one more piece of my heart as the reader. Add to that, the incredible mystery of the Shift. It's obvious that both Zach & Aura are significant to its occurring and Zach is worried that their actions might affect the outcome of the world. That's a lot of weight to shoulder.

Then there's Logan. It was wonderful to see him finally show some maturity. He reacts so brilliantly to almost all of his trials in this book. I can finally look at him as truly a good guy (which I had issues with in the first book.) I even fell a little bit in love with Dylan (Logan's younger brother) in this book. I think that I could have been convinced after the prom...

Everything is good about this one. The characters. The story line. The suspense. There is still heartbreak, but it adds so much depth and dimension to the book. I am dying to know more about how Zach & Aura fit into the whole Shift story and cannot wait for book #3, Shine

3 comments:

Amanda @ On a Book Bender said...

I was still not a fan of Logan in this book. But I loved Zach. And I can't wait for the third book either!

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

Looks like I really need to check out this series too. I'm glad that you enjoyed both books even though the second one was better than the first. I honestly haven't heard much about this series but I can definitely give it a try. :-D

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I still did not like Logan but this was a fantastic book! I loved Zach and Aura in this book. They were amazing!