Thursday, September 29, 2011

Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones


Title: Second Grave on the Left
Author: Darynda Jones
My Rating: B

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Charley Davidson #2
Main Characters: Charley & Reyes
Release Date: August 2011
ISBN978
-0312360818
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Charley Davidson, Grim Reaper Extraordinaire, is back in this sexy, suspenseful novel of supernatural shenanigans.

 When Charley is rudely awakened in the middle of the night by her best friend who tells her to get dressed quickly and tosses clothes out of the closet at her, she can’t help but wonder what Cookie’s up to. Leather scrunch boots with a floral miniskirt? Together? Seriously? Cookie explains that a friend of hers named Mimi disappeared five days earlier and that she just got a text from her setting up a meet at a coffee shop downtown. They show up at the coffee shop, but no Mimi. But Charley finds a message on the bathroom wall. Mimi left a clue, a woman’s name. Mimi’s husband explains that his wife had been acting strange since she found out an old friend of hers from high school had been found murdered a couple weeks prior. The same woman Mimi had named in her message. 

Meanwhile, Reyes Alexander Farrow (otherwise known as the Son of Satan. Yes. Literally) has left his corporeal body and is haunting Charley. He’s left his body because he’s being tortured by demons who want to lure Charley closer. But Reyes can’t let that happen. Because if the demons get to Charley, they’ll have a portal to heaven. And if they have a portal to heaven…well, let’s just say it wouldn’t be pretty. Can Charley handle hot nights with Reyes and even hotter days tracking down a missing woman? Will Cookie...


My Review:
Another fabulously entertaining book in the Charley Davidson series. I just love Darynda's incredible sense of humor and writing style. These books keep me laughing from page one all the way til the end. While reading this one, I also shed a few tears and that's always a sign of a good book for me.


Charley's character makes these books for me. She is sarcastic, witty, smart, and courageous. As the grim reaper, she has always dealt with dead people and people looking for answers because of those dead people. Her job is to help some dead cross over.Those who have unfinished business don't cross over on their own and sometimes need a bit of guidance. That's where Charley comes in. It's also why her working as a PI and as a liaison with the police dept. is so perfect. Much of the dead's unfinished business comes about because of an untimely death caused by murder or a tragic accident. It's all a natural tie-in for her.


There is a wonderful group of characters surrounding Charley. Reyes is a wonderfully sexy and mysterious. He comes to Charley in a non-corporeal form. I don't want to say anything else about him, because if you haven't read the first book, then I don't want to spill any spoilers. There is LOTS going on with this guy...and he is so sexy. I think that there are going to be some huge developments with his story in book 3 (at least I really hope so...I hate this limbo!) Cookie is Charley's receptionist and overall sidekick. She is always good for a laugh. The main mystery/suspense story line came from a friend of Cookie's so she was present in a lot of this book. The one character that I really missed in this book was Garrett. He was there, but seemed to have a lot less time in this book than he did the first book. Charley's family took up the slack from Garrett's lack of story line in this book. I liked getting to know the history there a bit more, but still think that I would have preferred to have more Garrett.


Like I said, I adore the entertainment value of these books. Unfortunately, I don't feel like book #2 moved the series any further forward and I really wanted the series to move forward, at least some. I am a romance reader...I like to have a HEA...or at least the hope that it's going to come soon in the series. That is the ONLY reason that this book was slightly disappointing to me. I NEED Charley & Reyes to be closer to an HEA...closer, not further away. At the end of this book, I felt like that possibility was even further away than it was at the beginning. HUGE hopes for book #3...Please Darynda...give me HOPE!!!

3 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

With this series I am on the fence whether I want her with Reyes so I am not in a rush for that to be resolved. Now Cookie needs a good hookup with Garrett :)

Just Saying LOL

Julie said...

Miss HEA... Yeah...UF is probably giving you ulcers then. lol I loved this one. I agree with you abut Charley and how her character makes this series. And Darynda's humor is amazing!

Christi Snow said...

Felicia, not Reyes?!?! OMG, seriously?!?! I LOVE HIM and want them to hook up so badly!!! I agree about Cookie and Garrett...love that pairing!

Julie, Yup, HEA & UF do not mix and they make my tummy hurt. Have you seen the emotional turmoil I have been going through with the Succubus series?!? OMG, I need an HEA just for my personal emotional stability. ;o)

smiles...