Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Lucky Girl by Cate Lord


Title:  Lucky Girl
Author: Cate Lord
My Rating: B-

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Jess & Nick
Release Date: September 2011
ISBN: 978-1937044213
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
Jessica Devlin isn’t looking for love. Heartbroken after being dumped by her unfaithful ex-fiancé, she’s determined to have a fabulous time during her vacation in England where she’ll be maid-of-honor at her cousin’s wedding. After working overtime as beauty editor of Orlando’s O Tart magazine, avoiding dating, and putting on ten pounds, Jess is ready to toss her past like an empty lipstick tube and party like a single gal.

But when she steps into the church on her cousin’s wedding day, she sees the one man who could sabotage her plan—James-Bond-gorgeous Nick Mondinello. She’s never forgotten the London marketing exec who held her in his arms after her beloved grandfather’s funeral two years ago. Ambitious, and lusted after by women everywhere, Nick is completely wrong for guarded, Plain Jane Jess.

Could Spy Man Nick ever fall for her? Nope. Not unless Jess is one lucky girl.

My Review:
This was a fun and entertaining afternoon read. I enjoyed getting to know Jess and the very-sexy Nick. I loved Jess and her attitude. She is getting her first vacation after 2 years and has just broken off her engagement 4 months ago after finding her fiance cheating on her. This vacation leads her to England where the majority of her family is located to attend a wedding. Her goal is to be single, engaging, and to have a fabulous time on her vacation. So she adopts a Goddess attitude and ropes her two cousins, Elizabeth and Anna, into her Goddess plan and they all three set out to have a fabulous two weeks.

At the wedding, she quickly runs into Nick, a gorgeous man that she remembers from her Grandfather's funeral 2 years ago. He was the one who gave her a shoulder to cry on and helped her through her mourning at that awful time. He is a gorgeous, hunky guy and reminds her of Pierce Brosnan as 007 so she calls him Spy Guy. Every girl can see that Nick is a catch so Jess has issues maintaining her Goddess facade in the face of such incredible competition. It's fun and quirky and provided more than a few embarrassing moments which were enough that I would have to put the book down in mortification every once in a while. LOL! It's very Bridget Jones-esque.

The things I loved:
*English setting--love the ambiance that England provides, esp the Pubs
*The Goddess moments-- I loved how Jess would prop herself with her Goddess attitude!
*Elizabeth & Anna-- such fabulous partners-in-crime for Jess. These are the kinds of gal-pals that we all wish that we had
*O Tart magazine-- I loved Anna's job. so fun!
*Spy Guy/Girl secret notes-- just too sweet
*Nick (sigh)

The things I didn't love:
*Chicky Dee & Plucky Penguin-- while I loved the spy guy/spy girl moments, I thought this little addition took the cuteness factor too far over the top.
*the binge drinking that seemed to happen every single night...just too much.
*Nick & Jess hook-up took too long esp. in a 2 week vacation.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It was quirky. It was fun. It made me homesick for England (I was lucky enough to live there for 2 years.) Just a really entertaining read!

2 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I think I may hate you a little bit since you got to live in England!

This one is on my if I find time list--it looks cute and fun :)

Julie said...

Binge drinking?! Oh no! LOL