Monday, September 5, 2011

A Just Deception by Adrienne Giordano

Title:  A Just Deception
Author: Adrienne Giordano
My Rating: A+



Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: Private Protectors #2
Main Characters: Peter (Monk) & Isabelle
Release Date: September 2011
ISBN: e-book
Publisher: Carina Press
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $4.79
Sexual Intensity: hot

I received this book from the author in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
The protector: Peter Jessup, former Navy SEAL, currently employed by Taylor Security. He likes being the hero—in charge and in control.
His client: Lawyer Isabelle DeRosa. The sexy brunette is the personification of Peter's fantasies. She's willing to get physical but nothing more serious.
The assignment: When Isabelle becomes the prime suspect in the murder of her cousin, Peter is there to protect her and help her find the real killer. Their investigation leads to a big-name charity that seems to draw cultlike followers. Isabelle manages to infiltrate the group and become close to their leader, leaving Peter both jealous and worried for her.
As their search leads to danger, Peter realizes he's falling in love with Isabelle. He wants all of her, but she's too used to guarding herself to let him in…
91,000 words

My Review:
Okay, it is no secret that I loved the first book in this series, Man Law. In fact, I was a little worried when I picked up this book to read it, that my expectations would be too high and I would hate it. This so should not have been a worry with this book. OMG, it was so freaking good. 

In fact, as I was reading it, I kept having to put the book down and reflect on Adrienne's amazing skill as a writer. There are some really heavy emotional undertones to this story: hero, Peter, is on the verge of having a breakdown after two of his friends die on missions; heroine, Isabelle is dealing with scars from childhood sexual abuse. Both horrendous, horrible issues, but the book remained fun and funny ALL the way through even when they were dealing directly with these issues. And honestly, I still don't see how Adrienne did it, because she is dealing with these issues head on throughout the entire story...not making light of them, but the book never got sad and loaded down by that emotional upheaval. Like I said....just amazing writing in this book!!!

Okay, back to the review. I am getting sidetracked. Peter/Monk...OMG, I love this guy, esp. as he keeps attacking his mother's potted tree. This is a guy who grew up in Jersey with TONS of money and in the society that involves. He NEVER fit in there, so he quit Yale and enlisted in the Navy at 19, much to his mother's horror. You would never guess that he grew up in society...he lives in cargo shorts and combat boots and usually has a do-rag on his head. He is home because Vic (hero from book #1, Man Law) has put him on a forced vacation to get his head back on straight after the death of two of his friends. Peter is on the verge of cracking and needs some downtime.

Isabelle is a lawyer and a friend of Vic's. Her cousin is home and because of a sketchy past with him, she is feeling nervous so she calls Vic to help get her an alarm system installed in her house. He sends Peter to help her out since Peter is in the area. Isabelle is a tough, self-assured, independent lawyer. She had a wretched childhood, but has let that mold her into a seriously strong woman...both physically and mentally. She can kick ass in her own right and is religious about keeping herself prepped for anything. Because of her abuse, she has learned that sex is purely a physical act, and as a gorgeous woman and a lawyer, has learned to use that to her advantage. This is not a person who can be intimidated in any shape or form, unless maybe you want to form an emotional attachment, like Peter eventually does. That is a danger area for her and scares her to death.

There is a LOT going on in this book. On top of everything else, there is a fantastic suspense story line. I had a pretty good idea where it was going, but it was still really good and I loved the addition of Billy (one of Monk's fellow operatives) when he joined the story. I cannot wait for his book. You get to see a bit of Vic again with his irreverent sense of humor...so funny! A surprising character that I really enjoyed was Peter's mom. She has some amazingly funny lines in this book. 

I feel like this review has been all over the place, but honestly, this is just one of those books that I truly loved. Adrienne writes AMAZING alpha heroes. But what I really love about them is that they are not bigger-than-life kind of guys. Yes, there is no doubt that they are alphas, but they are so real. They have a guy-next-door kind of feel to them that I love with their irreverent quips and jabs. Just really fun guys and I am so anxious to read the next installment in this series.

And now, just because I want you to understand how funny this book is, I have to share some quotes:
"Babe, I'm already in your mess. 
And I don't want to just be your friend. I'd screw it up by constantly hitting on you."
**********
Isabelle blew out a breath and stepped over to Peter, who was staring at a potted bush with narrowed eyes.
"What are you doing?" she asked.
"See that plant?"
"What about it?" 
A moment passed, but Peter didn't respond. She turned to him and the menacing hatred carved into his face stung her.  "Peter?"
"I hate it." The strength faded from his voice, leaving only slaughtered remnants of the confidence normally found there. Something was very, very wrong.
"Peter, it's a plant. A fiddle-leaf fig bush actually."
Nose scrunching bafflement took over his face. "I'm scared that you know that." He waved the thought away and gestured toward the bush. "It irritates me."
Okay then. Peter going crazy. What an interesting concept.
***********
Oh no. Oh Jesus. His mother was staring at his engorged dick. Someone needed to plunge a dagger into his heart. RIght fucking now. Death would be the only suitable escape.
How he could still be hard, he had no idea, but his shriveling intestines- at least something was shriveling- told him he'd just suffered a rare humiliating moment.
Mom slammed her eyes closed. Like that would wipe away the vision of her oldest son in flagrante delicto.
************
"Honey, they're..." He waved his hands toward her chest. 
"Big," Billy suggested.
Peter gritted his teeth, turning toward him. "Shut up."
"It's the all-new Miracle Bra." Izzy said.
Billy grunted. "It's a miracle all right."
"That's it. You're outta here." Peter pushed him to the door.
************

3 comments:

Amanda @ On a Book Bender said...

Okay, I think I am completely sold on this series now. I just added Man Law to my wishlist. :)

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

So happy that you enjoyed book two as much as book one. Man law is already on my TBR list so I'm definitely going to have to check that one out sooner than later! :-D

Julie said...

You are making me want to read more romantic suspense with lines like "OMG, it was so freaking good." I don't read too much of it because I have too much UF to read! LOL I can't say I dislike it. Now I really know who to go to if I want to read a good RS book!