Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Taken By Midnight by Lara Adrian


Title:  Taken by Midnight
AuthorLara Adrian
My Rating: A-

Genre: Paranormal Suspense
Series: Midnight Breeds #8
Main Characters: Brock & Jenna
Release Date: September 2010
ISBN
978-0440245278
Publisher: Random House
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
AT THE CROSSROADS OF DEATH AND DESIRE, A WOMAN TASTES A PLEASURE NO MORTAL IS MEANT TO SURVIVE.
 
In the frozen Alaskan wilderness, former state trooper Jenna Darrow survives an unspeakable breach of body and soul. But with her narrow escape comes an even greater challenge. For strange changes are taking place within her, as she struggles to understand—and control—a new hunger. To do so, she will seek shelter in the Boston compound of the Order, an ancient race of vampire warriors whose very existence is shrouded in mystery. Perhaps the most mysterious of them all is Brock, a brooding, dark-eyed alpha male whose hands hold the power to comfort, heal . . . and arouse.
As she recovers under Brock’s care, Jenna finds herself drawn to the Order’s mission: to stop a ruthless enemy and its army of assassins from subjecting Earth to a reign of terror. Yet in spite of their resolve, a purely physical relationship without strings soon binds Brock and Jenna together with a desire fiercer than life and stronger than death itself—until a secret from Brock’s past and Jenna’s own mortality challenges their forbidden love to the ultimate trial by fire.

My Review:
Book #8 in the Midnight Breed series and I am running things to say about these books. By now, you know that they are all good, right? Hot alpha Breed males and the strong women who love them. This book is only different in the fact that Jenna is not a Breedmate. She's human, but a human which has been implanted with "something" by the Ancient from the last book which is altering her body composition.

This book went back to the Order's compound as they are trying to figure out what is happening to Jenna's body because of the implant. Interestingly enough, that is never really answered. It will be interesting to see how the implant story evolves (if it does) further in the series. I have a feeling that we will be seeing lots more of Jenna (and Brock) further into the books...at least I hope so.

Jenna is a former cop and after losing her husband and daughter in a horrific crash, she knows how to deal with adversity. There is a lot about the Ancient's attack on her that I still don't understand....obviously, what it means for her long-term is still up in the air, but also the "why's" of the attack in the first place. He was well aware that she was on the verge of suicide and made her make a choice between "life or death." It's all very mysterious and probably is my only real issue with this book. There weren't any answers, but I guess that's good in the fact that I cannot wait to read the next book now.

Brock has his own issues with loss, which had a huge twist in this book and continues to flow over into the next book in the series. I really like the way that Lara Adrian is taking the story lines and carrying them over between books in these last few in the series...although it is wreaking havoc on my TBR pile since I hadn't planned on reading entirely this series this week. LOL!

Overall, this was a fabulous book. Even though it has left me with more questions than it answered, the romance story line was gorgeous. I loved Jenna & Brock together. They are such a perfect complement to each other. I also really love that they are best friends to Kade & Alex (the couple from book #7.) 

Now I am quickly moving on to read #9, Deeper Than Midnight... I am so excited!! I have been waiting for Hunters' book since book #5!!

2 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Brock and Jenna were amazing! I think something with Jenna is going to happen in Harvards book...

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

This is one I received in a giveaway. I didn't realize that it was book 8 in a series so I'm still going to read it soon and get a review up. But based on your reviews I know I'll have to check this whole series out!