Sunday, August 28, 2011

Strange Bedpersons by Jennifer Crusie (audiobook)


Title:  Strange Bedpersons
AuthorJennifer Crusie
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Tess & Mitch
Release Date: December 2010
ISBNaudiobook
Publisher: Brilliance Audio
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $15.59
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Tess Newhart knows her ex-boyfriend Nick Jamieson isn’t the right guy for her. He’s caviar and champagne; she’s take-out Chinese pot stickers. He’s an uptight Republican lawyer; she was raised in a commune. He wants to get ahead in business; she just wants…him. But there’s no way Tess will play second fiddle to his job.
Yet somehow she finds herself agreeing to play his fiancée on a weekend business trip that could make or break Nick’s career. And while he’s trying to convince Tess that he needs her in his respectable world, Tess is doing her best to keep her opinions to herself and her hands off Nick.

My Review:
This is the first audiobook that I've listened to in probably 15 years. As a crafter, audiobooks allow me to craft at the same time as "reading"- I love that I am able to do 2 of my hobbies at the same time. So, obviously, I don't have a ton of experience with audiobooks, but I was really impressed with the narration of this one. Madison Vaughn was the narrator and I was so impressed with her ability to differentiate between the many voices within this book. She was a fabulous narrator.


The book is really sweet and fun. Nick & Tess used to date, but she is thrift shop and feminism while he is a lawyer on the fast track to partner within a prestigious firm. She didn't like who he became when he was in a work environment and obsessed with material things. On the other hand, Nick needed her to be less confrontational and more conformist to fit into his world- so they broke up. But now Nick is in need of a fiance to broker a big deal for the law firm guaranteed to ensure him the partnership. She's not the obvious choice, but Nick can't resist the lure of a weekend spent in Tess' company so he asks her to help him out as a favor.


I really didn't think that the book was going to work for me. These are two people that are incredibly drawn to one another, but they both need/want the other person to change for them to be satisfied with their relationship. They are complete polar opposites when it comes to their personal moral code and belief system, but Jennifer Crusie pulled it off. By the end of the book, I fully believed that these 2 truly belonged together. They each have a great emotional are development which is really beautifully done.


It seemed to me like there was really a lot of depth to the story, but I am not sure if that was a correct perception. I can normally read a novel in about 3 hours, but because this was an audiobook, it took 7 hours and about a week to get through it all which gave me a lot more time to absorb all the events. There's a great sub-plot/secondary romance story line involving Nick & Tess' best friends, Gina & Parker and all the life changes happening with them.


Overall, it was just a wonderful "read" and a wonderful audiobook experience. A thing to note, other reviewers have talked about how cliche the dialogue is in this book. Because I was listening to the audiobook and the narrator was using such inflection with it, I didn't notice this to be a problem at all...another benefit of the audiobook. I am definitely heading back to the library for more audiobooks.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I have to figure out how to do more audiobooks! I love the idea and I enjoyed my little experience with it, but with the books I read, it's hard to listen to them with little ears around. lol This one sounds cute. :)

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I love the "inflections" when listening to an audiobook---it really does help with the dialogue :) Especially with sarcasm LOL