Thursday, August 18, 2011

Storm's Heart by Thea Harrison


Title:  Storm's Heart
AuthorThea Harrison
My Rating: A+




Genre: Paranormal Suspense
Series: Elder Races #2
Main Characters: Tiago & Niniane
Release Date: August 2011
ISBN978-0425242667
Publisher: Berkley
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
During the rule of her murderous Dark Fae uncle, Thistle "Tricks" Periwinkle found sanctuary among the Wyr in New York. Her ethereal beauty and sparkling personality won the hearts of the public, but after her uncle's death, there are those who don't want to see her ascend the throne...

Able to wield thunder and lightning, Wyr sentinel Tiago Black Eagle has ruled the skies for centuries. His massive build and thunderous power make him one of the Wyr's best weapons. And he's the one sent to protect Tricks when she's almost assassinated in Chicago.

Soon, both Tiago and Tricks will fall prey to the stormy hunger that engulfs them- a passion that will shake the very foundation of all the worlds.

My Review:
It is no secret that I adored the first book in this series, Dragon Bound. I never thought that it would be possible, but I think that I like this book, Storm's Heart, even more. Tiago was just such an incredible, deep, heart-felt character. I loved him and I loved both him and Niniane (Tricks) together...they were just one of those couples that are so good together because they make such an incredible team....so much better together than apart.

Niniane has gone back to take over as ruler for the Dark Fae, but she went alone in trying to keep peace. The Dark Fae are not huge fans of the Wyr, which is who Niniane has been living and working with for the past 200 years, since the murder of her entire family. But when there is a very public attempt on her life and she disappears, Tiago is sent to track, find, and keep her safe. They have always worked together within the Wyr government, but overall, Tricks & Tiago have never been that close. Suddenly, they find themselves in VERY close quarters in a highly stressful situation and the emotions start to fly.

I absolutely LOVED how this story and romance developed. Just brilliantly written with so much emotion. There is a slow build-up between Tiago and Niniane which makes it really believable. At first, they are simply butting heads. Niniane is hurting both physically and mentally, but knows that she has to remain strong if she is going to succeed as queen, so refuses to lean on Tiago, even though she really needs his help. She is facing such adversity with amazing courage. Thea Harrison wrote her brilliantly...the perfect balance of vulnerability with incredible courage and strength, especially with all that she has been through and is currently going through again. In the same way, Tiago is this huge, dominant alpha male that regularly terrifies all those around him, but he sees Niniane. He sees her courage, her vulnerability, her skills, and even her not-so-nice qualities, but he knows that she needs him and he is NOT going to abandon her no matter what.

There were so many little details that make this such a superb novel:
*I love how Tiago's eyes flash silver (he can channel lightening) when he is upset. The more upset he is, the more fully they change.
*The purely physical differences between Niniane & Tiago. He's huge...240 lbs./6'4". She's tiny...wears an extra small and very petite. Every time Tiago touched her, you could visualize their differences and how much care he was taking in handling her and cherishing her. There was such amazing imagery that I could visualize perfectly how he would envelope her within his arms. It made for really beautiful reading.
*The love scene when it finally happens for the first time...OMG! So powerful!!! I loved the way that it was set up/written.

There was also an amazing suspense line. I had NO IDEA who the bad guy was in this one...I did not see that one coming at all. The climatic scene is really well done with tons of emotion and I LOVED the way that it set up the next book. I cannot wait....it's going to be so good!

This book is definitely going to be permanently on my keeper shelf. In fact, I can already see  a re-read coming soon of it. A fantastic series that started out phenomenal and just keeps getting better!

4 comments:

BookaholicCat said...

I couldn't agree more with your review. I love Tiago so much, (shhh, but maybe more than Dragos), he was so perfect, Mrs. Harrison really know how to write her alphas.
I guess who was the bad guy since that person was name for the first time and was kind of surprise to be right at the end. :)
Great review.

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Oh I definitely loved Tiago more than Dragos! I liked that Tiago was both alpha and willing to listen to Tricks!

I am really looking forward to Rune's book :)

Amanda @ On a Book Bender said...

Gah, I still need to read this book!

(I wonder how many times I'll say that before I actually do =/)

Julie said...

I also loved how the romance in this book was handled. Can't wait for Rune's story!!! Especially after meeting Carling. And I knew Tiago and Tricks would make a nice couple, but they ended up being a great one. Wonderful review Christi!