Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Retribution by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Title:  Retribution
AuthorSherrilyn Kenyon
My Rating: C+


Genre: Paranormal Suspense
Series: Dark Hunter #21
Main Characters: Abigail & Jess (Sundance)
Release Date: August 2011
ISBN: e-book
Publisher: Carina Press
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $17.15
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Sherrilyn Kenyon comes the next thrilling installment in her blockbuster Dark-Hunter® series
Harm no human…
A hired gunslinger, William Jessup Brady lived his life with one foot in the grave. He believed that every life had a price. Until the day when he finally found a reason to live. In one single act of brutal betrayal, he lost everything, including his life. Brought back by a Greek goddess to be one of her Dark-Hunters, he gave his immortal soul for vengeance and swore he’d spend eternity protecting the humans he’d once considered prey.

Orphaned as a toddler, Abigail Yager was taken in by a family of vampires and raised on one belief—Dark-Hunters are the evil who prey on both their people and mankind, and they must all be destroyed. While protecting her adoptive race, she has spent her life eliminating the Dark-Hunters and training for the day when she meeting the man who killed her family: Jess Brady.
A gun in the hand is worth two in the holster…
Jess has been charged with finding and terminating the creature who’s assassinating Dark-Hunters. The last thing he expects to find is a human face behind the killings, but when that face bears a striking resemblance to the one who murdered him centuries ago, he knows something evil is going on. He also knows he’s not the one who killed her parents. But Abigail refuses to believe the truth and is determined to see him dead once and for all.
Brought together by an angry god and chased by ancient enemies out to kill them both, they must find a way to overcome their mutual hatred or watch as one of the darkest of powers rises and kills both the races they’ve sworn to protect.

My Review:
I didn't realize how much I had been missing my Dark-Hunters until I started reading this book...it was just like coming home. I love these guys and I love these books! That being said, this one was not one of my favorites, but that was for very specific reasons...not necessarily my overall enjoyment of the book, because I did enjoy reading it. I just had issues with some of the background story line.

What I absolutely LOVED:
*Sundance's sense of humor and his absolutely quirky remarks. I giggled throughout the entire book with his wit especially when he was talking with the other Dark-Hunters and Were's.
*the appearance of several of the other characters from the previous books (esp. Zarek) although I missed having an appearance from Acheron in the actual book.
*LOVED the epilogue. It would have detracted from the story, so I like the way that it was done. Is it me or was there a shocker with Nick (or is this something that we knew was brewing in another book and I just don't remember?)
*OMG, I loved Andy (Jess' squire) and his reactions about his car...so funny! I also really loved Jess' relationship with him.

Things that I didn't really like:
*Abigail"s visions at the end...really confusing in the way that they were written.
*I am not a big fan of the past-lives twist to the story line.
*Was it ever explained exactly how Apollites ended up adopting Abigail? I never really understood that or how it was possible that she was never exposed to what Daimons were....it just didn't seem right somehow.
*the connection between Abigail & Jess didn't quite work for me...again I think that this goes back to the fact that I am not a big fan of the past-lives story.

Like I said, overall, I really enjoyed reading the book and don't regret the time or the price of the hardback for one single minute. 

The book is classic Dark-Hunter, but even funnier...just absolutely LOVED Sundance, so I thought I would leave you with some of the funnier quotes that I marked in the book:
"Now, that's not normally the way a woman reacts when I'm on top of her. I usually get a little more enthusiasm and welcome than that."
She gave him a withering stare to mask how incredibly yummy she thought he was right then. No need in feeding that ego. "Well, that's what happens when you pay women for sex."

"I was thinking of the phrase, save a horse, ride a cowboy."
He laughed. "Well, baby, you can ride me any time you get the urge." He feigned deadly earnest. "I'm here for you."

"Focus your ADD, Jess."

Sasha snorted. "I have never in my extremely long life seen anyone take so long to answer a question. It's like you went into your mind and got lost. You need a bread crumb, buddy?" He made a noise like he was calling his pet. " Here, Lassie, here. Come back, girl."
Jess shoved at him. "Shut up. What did you ask me, anyway?"
Sasha slapped himself on the forehead and groaned. "Really? Good thing I didn't tell you to duck a bomb."



4 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Yep the Nick thing came in a few books ago and is explained a little more in The Chronicals of Nick. I think it was the book that followed Acheron's book that what Nick is was really hinted at here and there!

Christi Snow said...

Okay, I NEED to read the Chronicles of Nick...I have both of them, just haven't read them yet. Thanks Felicia!! smiles...

Julie said...

So it seems unanimous. This book, while good, isn't people's favorite. I still love this series though (I'm on all of book 9) and will read this book when I get to it (sometime in 2015 at this rate) and I'm sure I'll agree.
It almost seems like Retribution is the Lover Unleashed of the BDB series. Good...but slightly lacking, a little confusing and not up to the standards you are used to from that author. High hopes for the next one?

Smash Attack! said...

I really need to read this soon! I still have the two books prior to get through, as well. I do miss the DH! Loved the quotes. :)