Saturday, August 27, 2011

One Grave at a Time by Jeaniene Frost

Title:  One Grave at a Time
Author: Jeaniene Frost
My Rating: C+

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Night Huntress #6
Main Characters: Cat & Bones
Release Date: August 2011
ISBN: 978-0061783197
Publisher: Avon
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview
How do you send a killer to the grave when he’s already dead?
Having narrowly averted an (under)World War, Cat Crawfield wants nothing more than a little downtime with her vampire husband, Bones. Unfortunately, her gift from New Orleans’s voodoo queen just keeps on giving—leading to a personal favor that sends them into battle once again, this time against a villainous spirit.
Centuries ago, Heinrich Kramer was a witch hunter. Now, every All Hallows Eve, he takes physical form to torture innocent women before burning them alive. This year, however, a determined Cat and Bones must risk all to send him back to the other side of eternity—forever. But one wrong step and they’ll be digging their own graves.

My Review:
I have to admit that I am disappointed with this book. It's not that the book was bad, because it wasn't. It's just that it wasn't really good. It's a decent story line, but the entire book seems REALLY slow. It seemed to be lacking the excitement and suspense of the earlier Night Huntress novels.

It was nice to get a Cat & Bones fix, although sadly, there is only one slightly steamy scene. Their relationship has grown so much and Cat's reactions to his demands are so much more mature and thought out...it's really nice to see. I also really loved seeing Denise & Spade again...love them.

The basis of the story is that they are trying to catch a ghost...one that has been murdering and raping 3 women every Halloween since the 1400's. He's an old ghost and, as such, is extremely powerful to the point that he can take physical form one day a year, Halloween, which is when they plan to trap him. He's a great bad guy...truly evil and powerful.

Alongside this story is one featuring Cat's old military unit and her Uncle Don's ghost. Madigan is the new pompous ass in charge of the unit and is doing everything he can to cause problems for Cat. I am assuming that this is going to be an ongoing story, because NOTHING was resolved here which made it a bit frustrating. I actually enjoyed these parts of the story, but they were few and far between and seemed thrown into the story in a mish-mash fashion. While I liked this story, it just left the whole book with a more disappointing feel overall.

So how's that for a mediocre review? That's kind of how I feel about the book. There were aspects that were good about it. It read fine, but I had no issues with laying it down and doing other things...which, for me, is NOT the sign of a good book. The suspense is missing. There is nothing in this books that makes you keep turning the page trying to figure out what is going to happen. It makes me sad.


5 comments:

Amanda @ On a Book Bender said...

Sorry to hear it wasn't that great. :( This is one I've been looking forward to for a while, too. All that waiting is never a good thing.

Tyraa said...

Aw I felt the previous one fell flat so I was hoping this one would be better. I'll still read it though. I think I miss the sexual tension the first 4 books had.

Julie said...

I liked the last book, but found it was a bit...'not slow but not wow' I guess would be the best way of saying it. But I gave it 4 stars because I did like it quite a bit, but I wasn't awed by it. Sounds like this was how you were with this one, which means I'll probably feel the same way you did. Nice mediocre review Christi!

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I am debating on waiting on this book (reading) till the next one comes out. I miss Bones but since it is just mediocre, I think I could probably wait.

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

Great Review Christi. I enjoyed this read but not nearly as much as I enjoyed the other books. I know that it left us hanging in one aspect with Medigan but I think the next book will wrap that up (I hope). I was sad about all of their steamy moments being interrupted except the one scene which was really quite fabulous. LOL.