Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Lord of the Vampires by Gena Showalter



Title:  Lord of the Vampires
Author: Gena Showalter
My Rating: D+

Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: House of Shadows #1
Main Characters: Nicolai & Jane
Release Date: August 2011
ISBN: 978-0373618668
Publisher: Harlequin Nocturne
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $5.50
Sexual Intensity: hot

I received this book from the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
Once upon a time…the Blood Sorcerer vanquished the kingdom of Elden. To save their children, the queen scattered them to safety and the king filled them with vengeance. Only a magical timepiece connects the four royal heirs…and time is running out….
Nicolai the Vampire was renowned for his virility, but in a twist of fate "The Dark Seducer" had become a sex slave in the kingdom of Delfina—stripped of his precious timepiece and his memory. All that remained was a primal need for freedom, revenge—and the only woman who could help him.
In her dreams, a wanton vampire called to Jane Parker, drawing her to his dark sexuality and his magical realm. But for a human, all was not a fairy tale in Delfina. Jane was the key to Nicolai's memory…but exploiting her meant dooming the only mortal he craved.

My Review:
I have worked real hard not to read the advance reviews of this book before I could read it and form my own opinion, but I have seen enough to know that, as a general rule, most have not really liked it. Sadly, I agree with that opinion. My main complaint is that the book spends way too much time inside the characters' heads analyzing what is happening, rather than actually participating in the action. The story has such potential. It just lacks on follow-through.

This is a fabulous new world that has been created. The following excerpt about it has been copied from the House of Shadows website:
The History of the Kingdom of Eldon
Once upon a time there were four royal siblings, lost...cursed...

Except that’s not where this story begins.  No, this part of the tale starts earlier when the Kingdom of Elden was ruled by a powerful vampire king and his beautiful magic-wielding queen.  Together they brought peace and prosperity to their lands, happiness to their people and heirs that brought light and joy to the realm, as well as hope for a brighter and more joyous future.
But there cannot be light without shadows, and lurking in the dark waited the Dark Sorcerer.  Driven by his need for power and fueled by the evil of blood magic, he stole into the castle under the cover of night and killed the king and queen, enslaving the people of Elden.  Now the kingdom is dying a slow death; the plants shrivel and die, leached by the dark magic of the sorcerer while his flesh-hungry creatures taint whatever they touch.
Before taking their final breath, the royal couple was able to weave their magic one last time, casting their children into the far corners of their world.  Only their power is weak, and each heir is tangled in webs of the dual enspellments, impacting their magic and memories—a mysterious timepiece their only link to home.  Time is ticking away….
Today the Blood Sorcerer sits on the throne of the king he killed, sending out his minions across the lands to find the missing heirs before their memories and powers return and they join together against him and restore the Royal House of Shadows.
Tick...Tock...Tick...
There is not much I can tell you about the characters without giving away spoilers. Nicolai has had his memory erased so there is a lot that is revealed in retrospect throughout the story. He has flashbacks of memories and there are also things that are slowly revealed through the story line. That helps to aid in the frustration with the story because there is lots of jumping around which, personally, rarely works for me.
This book is written based upon the Alice in Wonderland story. Jane is Alice & Nicolai is the Mad-Hatter. There are also appearances by the Queen of Hearts & Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee as well as an obsession about time and timepieces.
Nicolai is a vampire being held as a slave against his will. Jane is a modern-day scientist who has studied vampires who has been transported to this alternate universe. She's an intellectual and approaches life with that analytical-style approach. Because of the way the story was written, it was hard to get attached to these characters, especially Jane. Nicolai was a passionate character who has deep connections to his siblings, that you can see even with his memory loss (about whom the next three books are written.)
It's no secret that this book didn't do it for me, but I am still excited about the series and the other three upcoming installments.

4 comments:

Amanda @ On a Book Bender said...

In a weird way, I'm curious about what makes this book so bad. Almost like I want to read for myself. Almost.

Julie said...

I am still excited too even though this one didn't do it for me neither. And this book is written based on Alice in Wonderland?!?! O-o

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I just can't pinpoint exactly what I didn't like about the story (mostly because I think it was missing--whatever it was)! I did like the couple aka my 3.25 but as a world building it was more like a 2.5.

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

I'm officially avoiding any reviews from this book now until I read it...hopefully I'll get through it today...but I'm depressed to see the D+ review because I was so excited for this series. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint me too much. :-/