Monday, August 29, 2011

The Game of Love by Jeanette Murray

Title:  The Game of Love
Author: Jeanette Murray
My Rating: B



Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Chris & Brett
Release Date: August 2011

ISBN: e-book

Publisher: Carina Press
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $4.79
Sexual Intensity: spicy

I received this book from the Publisher and NetGalley in return from an honest review.

Story Overview:
Chris St. James is ready for normal. After walking away from her pro tennis career and a toxic relationship with a star hockey player, she's starting a new life as a teacher and tennis coach in a small town. Now all she needs is an average guy to share it with. 

Brett Wallace is no average guy. Forced to retire from the NFL after an injury—and suddenly single after being dumped by his status-conscious wife—he's returned to his hometown to coach the varsity football team. Wary of women interested only in his celebrity, Brett finds Chris's indifference to his former career refreshing. 

The last thing Chris needs is to get involved with another pro athlete, but she can't deny the sparks that fly between them. So she agrees to a purely physical, no-strings-attached affair. But the rules of the game change when she falls for him… 85,000 words


My Review:

I love sports-themed books and seem to have a weakness for books featuring high school football coaches, so you know that this book has a lot going for it already. I really did enjoy this book. It's a sweet little read and was thoroughly entertaining.

Brett's character is awesome and I absolutely adored his family, especially his brothers. They all have a wonderful relationship with each other and his reactions to them letting themselves in with their keys to his house is priceless. It's definitely a family that love each other to the point of constantly harassing each other which makes it so much fun.
quote from Scott, Brett's brother, after Brett quoted Fiddler on the Roof...
"One, that was scary. 
Don't ever quote a musical if you ever want to get laid again." 
Just really funny dialogue between the family all throughout the book. I especially loved Anna, Brett's mom, and her reaction to Chris. 
"Oh, sweetheart, I was almost positive after I heard
 about you tossing a drink in my son's face, but after that,
 now I'm sure. You are about as perfect for that son of mine as it gets."

It's an interesting twist to have BOTH of these characters with a history as former professional athletes, although I didn't understand why Chris didn't want to share that with Brett. It would have prevented a lot of misunderstanding, but then where would that have left the story without the conflict? I liked that she was a tennis pro and coached the girls tennis team. I really, really loved her philosophy for coaching the girls especially after her history as a pro. I loved that she did everything in her power to help them succeed, but made sure that the emphasis was on them having fun above all else.

I really liked the addition of Jared & Katie to the story. Katie is Chris' best friend, who's also pregnant (which added some funny lines to the story) and married to Jared. Jared is Brett's best friend (since kindergarten) and he is also the Athletic Director for the school. They are both shown throughout the book as offering advice/sarcasm. They have a fabulously sweet marriage and the addition of their friendships added a lot to the overall story.

This was my first book that I have read by Jeanette Murray, but I definitely look forward to reading more of her contemporary romance. Hopefully, she has more coming out soon!!

3 comments:

Rachael Johns said...

This book is on my TRB list so good to hear someone else's opinion on it. Thanks :)

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I thought it was fun too. I kind of thought Jared and Katie were as fun as Brett and Chris.

Julie said...

I'll keep an eye out for this author too now. Thanks Christi!