Thursday, August 11, 2011

Deeper Than Midnight by Lara Adrian


Title:  Deeper Than Midnight
AuthorLara Adrian
My Rating: A+

Genre: Paranormal Suspense
Series: Midnight Breeds #9
Main Characters: Hunter & Corinne
Release Date: June 2011
ISBN
978-0440246114
Publisher: Random House
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
DELIVERED FROM THE DARKNESS, A WOMAN FINDS HERSELF PLUNGED INTO A PASSION THAT IS DEEPER THAN MIDNIGHT.
 
At eighteen, Corinne Bishop was a beautiful, spirited young woman living a life of privilege as the adopted daughter of a wealthy family. Her world changed in an instant when she was stolen away and held prisoner by the malevolent vampire Dragos. After many years of captivity and torment, Corinne is rescued by the Order, a cadre of vampire warriors embroiled in a war against Dragos and his followers. Her innocence taken, Corinne has lost a piece of her heart as well—the one thing that gave her hope during her imprisonment, and the only thing that matters to her now that she is free.
Assigned to safeguard Corinne on her trip home is a formidable golden-eyed Breed male called Hunter. Once Dragos’s most deadly assassin, Hunter now works for the Order, and he’s hell-bent on making Dragos pay for his manifold sins. Bonded to Corinne by their mutual desire, Hunter will have to decide how far he’ll go to end Dragos’s reign of evil—even if carrying out his mission means shattering Corinne’s tender heart.

My Review:
By far, this has been the most emotional Midnight Breed novel (for me) to date. I cried several times throughout the book and the ending...OMG, it left me literally bawling.

This is mainly Hunter's book and you all know that I have been counting down to his book ever since he was introduced in book #5. His section of the book absolutely did not disappoint. He has been bred to work as an un-emotional machine and to watch him fall in love with Corinne- OMG, it was a gorgeous thing. But along the way there were revelations about him, about Corinne, and about Hunter's own mother that left me sobbing. So much heartache for both Corinne & Hunter- for them to find their happily-ever-after together- simply perfection. I loved their story & Lara Adrian executed their story so beautifully. Just the perfect amount of compassion and slow discovery of passion from these two that have both been so incredibly scarred at Dragos' hand. Like I said, just perfectly executed & written. Bravo, Ms. Adrian!

But this book was not just a book about Hunter & Corinne. The Order and the transition that they are about to face factored heavily in this book. Chase's book is the next in this series and there was a ton of story telling that was obviously laying the groundwork for his book. It is definitely shaping up to be another incredibly emotional book. Chase is on the edge and this book did not end well for his story line. The scenes between Dante & him in this book broke my heart.

There was a lot seen of the Warriors in this book especially Lucan as he shoulders the responsibility for the safety of not only all the Warriors, but also all of their mates and now the children that have been introduced into the compound.
"The Order will not splinter," Lucan replied, terse with fury for what Dragos was forcing them to consider. "We are warriors, Brethren. We are kin. We will not let anyone scatter us in terror."
Gideon nodded, solemn and silent. "Yeah," he said, meeting their gazes. "Fuck me, right? Totally crap idea. I don't know what the hell I was thinking."

As Dragos closes his web against the Order, they are having to make difficult choices to ensure everyone's safety. After reading 9 of these novels, this aspect of this book was the most heart-breaking to me. There is an excerpt at the end of this book from the next book, Darker Than Midnight. In the words of Gideon, "Ah, fuck me..." I cry every time I even think about it. January, 2012 can't come fast enough.

The series:
1. Kiss of Midnight (A) Lucan
2. Kiss of Crimson (A-) Dante
3. Midnight Awakening (A) Tegan
4. Midnight Rising (B+) Rio
5. Veil of Midnight (B+) Niko
6. Ashes of Midnight (B) Andreas
7. Shades of Midnight (A) Kade
8. Taken By Midnight (A-) Brock
9. Deeper Than Midnight (A+) Hunter
10. Darker Than Midnight (releasing Jan, 2012) Chase/Harvard

1 comment:

Julie said...

Emotional eh? I hadn't heard that about this book. I must admit that I was a little unsure when I heard who Hunter's HEA was going to be. I always pictured him with a kick ass chick and who stumps him completely. But if you say Corinne and Hunter are amazing together, I'll believe you. That is until I see for myself when I finally get around to reading this book. It's in my book closet and I really do enjoy this series. Must make time for it. :)