Monday, August 15, 2011

Deadly Obsession by Katie Reus

Title:  Deadly Obsession
Author: Katie Reus
My Rating: A+


Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: -
Main Characters: Lilly & Braden
Release Date: August 2011
ISBN: e-book

Publisher: Carina Press
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $4.79
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
The chilling words of a killer: This is just the beginning…
Ten years ago, Lilly Carmichael left town without an explanation, breaking Braden Donnelly's heart. The death of her aunt has brought Lilly home—and face-to-face with memories she thought were long buried. Still getting over a traumatic incident from her work as an NSA agent, Lilly initially dismisses the face at her window as a figment of stress-induced paranoia.
Now the sheriff of Hudson Bay, Braden has spent the past year hunting a sadistic murderer. His investigation is turned upside down when new evidence indicates that Lilly is the killer's next target. Determined to protect the woman he's never stopped loving, Braden must race against the clock to trap a dangerous psychopath—before it's too late…
80,000 words

My Review:
This book had everything that I love in a good romantic suspense... a really evil bad guy, a great couple with lots of sexual tension, well-plotted suspense with a few twists and surprises, and a wonderful HEA.

Lilly & Braden were high school sweethearts, but she broke off their romance suddenly and unexpectedly 10 years ago. Braden never understood why and has never had the chance to see her and find out why it happened. It's obvious from the very beginning that there was more to their breakup than Lilly ever admitted to and 10 years later both these two still have really strong feelings for each other.

There's a lot going on here. A year ago, Lilly was undercover and her team was captured, tortured, and most of them murdered in Africa. She is still dealing with the PTSD from that so when she sees someone stalking her, she thinks that it's just an effect of PTSD hallucinations. It turns out that there's a serial killer on the loose killing women in Braden's life and the killer definitely has Lilly in his sites.

As sheriff, Braden has no choice, but to move in and spend all his time with Lilly so that he can protect her. It's a well-used story arc, but that's because it's so effective. I love it...you know all those unresolved issues are going to come to a head when two people are forced to spend time together 24/7.

They may have been kids the last time that they saw each other, but that chemical spark is still there for both Braden & Lilly. Even more importantly, their friendship is still an easy natural thing once they get past their hurt feelings and awkwardness. These are two people that just "fit" together. I really liked the fact that Lilly has had such a traumatic last year. I think that it gave her character a vulnerability that was believable so that she could lean on Braden maybe a bit more than she would have normally. That closeness was needed to help make the sparks fly between these two.

The suspense was really good. I had an idea of who the bad guy might be just from an inference made early in the book, but he is so incredibly evil and creepy...it makes for a great suspense line with lots of twists.

Overall, I just really enjoyed reading this book. It captured my attention and wouldn't let me go until I finished the book (which just happened to be WAY later than my normal bedtime.) An absolutely fabulous read.

3 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I love love love love a good creepy guy (I know you didn't expect that)! I think the best romantic thrillers are the ones that can almost be put on the thriller shelf instead of the romance one because the case (story, killer, ect) is just that good!

Great Review!

Missie said...

I feel like I haven't read a really good romantic suspense novel yet. But I have to admit, I really like the sound of this one. Plus, I'm with Felicia on the creepy evil guy.

Thanks for putting this book on my radar. :)

Julie said...

*writes "Deadly Obsession" in book planner* Yup. You've added another one. I may forget about it, so you may have to remind me of it when I get a break in my reading...but I will want to read it. ;)