Friday, August 19, 2011

Dead Girls are Easy by Terri Garey


Title:  Dead Girls are Easy
Author: Terri Garey
My Rating: A

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Nicki Styx #1
Main Characters: Nicki & Joe
Release Date: August 2007
ISBN978-0061136153
Publisher: HarperCollins
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
There's something about almost dying that makes a girl rethink her priorities. Take Nicki Styx—she was strictly goth and vintage, until a brush with the afterlife leaves her with the ability to see dead people.
Before you can say boo, Atlanta's ghosts are knocking at Nicki's door. Now her days consist of reluctantly cleaning up messes left by the dearly departed, leading ghouls to the Light . . . and one-on-one anatomy lessons with Dr. Joe Bascombe, the dreamy surgeon who saved her life. All this catering to the deceased is a real drag, especially for a girl who'd rather be playing hanky-panky with her hunky new boyfriend . . . who's beginning to think she's totally nuts.
But things get even more complicated when a friend foolishly sells her soul to the devil, and Nicki's new gift lands her in some deep voodoo.
As it turns out for Nicki Styx, death was just the beginning.


My Review:
This book is simply a fabulously fun book to read. After being declared dead by Dr. Joe Bascombe, Nicki has come back from the brink with a very special ability...the ability to see dead people whether she wants to or not.


Nicki's a goth girl who owns a vintage dress shop with her gay friend, Evan. She's irreverant, snarky, and a bit of a rebel. She feels completely inadequate to deal with the emotions and layers needed to deal with ghosts who have just died and their family members who are grieving the death of their loved one. She's never been religious although her little trip into the "light" has definitely changed her views on religion.


Not only does she have to deal with the complication of ghosts showing up in her life, but she also is dealing with a very complicated relationship with her HOT doctor, Joe. (Note: at page 112, I NEEDED someone to chat with about this guy....OMG!?!? shocker!!! So someone read this book for me so we can chat!) He's everything that Nicki's not...a doctor & fairly conservative, but OMG, he has a heart of gold and even though Nicki is spewing some really crazy stuff...he believes her and doesn't discount anything that is happening with her. I love their repartee...so much fun to read!
"Sorry, Doc, but I don't let anyone inside my head 
without an expensive dinner and a bottle or two of wine."
*****
Joe unbuckled his seat belt, smiling. 
"Are you trying to tell me you'll break my heart?"

I looked at him very seriously. "No, I'm trying to tell you
that I like to play with my lovers and sometimes I play rough."
I gave him a wicked grin, going from nice to naughty in a split-second.
*****
"Why is everyone I know such a smart-ass?"
*****
There was a streak of something white on his cheek.
"Mmmm," I said, touching it with a finger and then licking it.
"Whipped cream? Are we into the kinky stuff already?"

Joe pulled me inside and locked the door. "Only if you ask 
me very nicely." He grinned wickedly obviously picturing something 
extremely naughty.
*****
"Oh my God." Joe sounded dazed, but happy. "What just happened?"

"If I have to explain it to you, then I must not have done it very well."
*****
Oops, sorry, I got a little carried away with the quoting there....this book is just so much fun. I love Nicki's off-beat sense of humor and the way that she is constantly harassing Joe. There is a ton of really serious stuff going on both in their relationship and in Nicki's life, but they have such a fun time together through it all. (BTW, that last quote took place in a graveyard...see, fun! hehe)

Another fabulous character in this book is Evan, Nicki's friend and business partner. He is a great secondary character and their friendship adds a lot to the book. He is as snarky as Nicki so his comments left me giggling the whole book!

This was a great first book. I can't wait to keep reading!!

5 comments:

Amanda @ On a Book Bender said...

Ha. Sounds like a good books!

Amanda @ On a Book Bender said...

Oh dear. A good books? I blame all grammatical mistakes on my antibiotics.

Jennifer | Book Den said...

"So someone read this book for me so we can chat!"

You are too funny. I completely get where you are coming from.

Sounds like it will be a good series.

Julie said...

Love the quotes!

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I am starting this one later tonight :) Can't wait!