Friday, July 29, 2011

Tempted by Megan Hart

Title:   Tempted
Author: Megan Hart
My Rating: C+


Genre: Erotic Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: James & Anne
Release Date: January 2008
ISBN: 978-0373605194
Publisher: Spice
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $11.16
Sexual Intensity: erotic

Story Overview:
I had everything a woman could want…
My husband, James. The house on the lake.
My life. Our perfect life.
And then Alex came to visit.
The first time I saw my husband's best friend, I didn't like him. Didn't like how James changed when he was around, didn't like how his penetrating eyes followed me everywhere.
But that didn't stop me from wanting him. And, surprisingly, James didn't seem to mind.
It was meant to be fun. Something the three of us shared for those hot summer weeks Alex stayed with us. Nobody was supposed to fall in or out of love. I didn't need another man, not even one who oozed sex like honey and knew all the secrets I didn't know, the secrets my husband hadn't shared. After all, we had a perfect life.
And I loved my husband.
But I wasn't the only one.

My Review:
I need to preface this review by reiterating that I read for entertainment and escape. This book was VERY good, but I did not enjoy the experience of reading it. The book is written more like a moment-by-moment memoir rather than a fiction novel. As such, the book had a realistic edge to it that I did not enjoy and it frankly made me uncomfortable.

The heroine, Anne, is dealing with a lot...a dysfunctional family, lies between her and her husband James, feelings for her husband's best friend, as well as a lot of emotional upheaval and self-doubts. It was NOT a fun read. It was an interesting read though and it was a riveting read- kind of like watching a train wreck (the heroine's life, NOT the writing in the book)- you don't dare to look away from the horror of it all.

Like I said, this was not a book for me and I will definitely not be re-reading it, but I could see how someone else could really enjoy it. It reminds me a lot of most book club reads- it gives you a lot to think about- all with a slightly erotic twist wondering what you would have done if you had been in the heroine's shoes. Very interesting and thought-provoking...

No comments: