Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Split Second by Catherine Coulter


Title:   Split Second
Author: Catherine Coulter
My Rating: D

Genre: Contemporary Suspense
Series: FBI #15
Main Characters: Lucy & Coop
Release Date: July 2011
ISBN
978-0399157431
Publisher: Penguin Group
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $14.18
Borders- $14.18
Sexual Intensity: mild

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
A serial killer is on the loose, and it’s up to FBI agents Dillon Savich and Lacey Sherlock to bring him down. They soon discover the killer has blood ties to an infamous and now long-dead monster. Savich and Sherlock are joined by agents Lucy Carlyle and Cooper McKnight, and the chase is on.

At the same time, Agent Lucy Carlyle learns from her dying father that her grandfather didn’t simply walk away from his family twenty-two years ago: he was, in fact, murdered by his wife, Lucy’s grandmother. Determined to uncover the truth, Lucy moves into her grandmother’s Chevy Chase mansion. What she finds, however, is a nightmare. Not only does she discover the truth of what happened all those years ago, but she faces a new mystery, one that has been passed down from mother to daughter for generations.

As the hunt for the killer escalates, Savich realizes he’s become the killer’s focus, and perhaps the next victim. Only Lucy can stop this madness before it’s too late.

My Review:
Reviewing this book makes me sad. I was sent an ARC of this book by the publisher in return for an honest review. Honest is the key work there, but I hate it when I don't enjoy a book and have to give it a bad review. I used to read Catherine Coulter and always loved her books, but this one was just not a book that I could enjoy.

I would classify this book as a suspense. The main story line is about 4 FBI agents: Savich & Sherlock (married), and Lucy & Coop (falling in love) who are all after a serial killer who just happens to be the daughter of Ted Bundy. Intermixed within that story are several other little side stories:
1. Lucy & Coop's romance which really was sadly only about a page or two of the book because I would have liked to have read more along this line.
2. a paranormal side story featuring Lucy's murdered grandfather and a magical ring.
3. an investigation that Savich is doing about a convenience store shooting which features some real soap-opera-like drama which had NOTHING at all to do with any other part of the story. I have no idea why this was in the book.
All three of those stories could have been non-existent and it would have helped to make the main story line stronger because they just helped the entire book feel disjointed and unfocused. Unfortunately, the main story line about Bundy's serial-killing daughter was simply not strong enough by itself to make up for the distractions that came from the other stories.

The one thing that I did really enjoy about the book was husband and wife team, Savich & Sherlock. I may just have to look up some of Catherine Coulter's older book(s) that feature their story. They were a great couple and the scenes featuring them were fun to read.

4 comments:

Amanda @ On a Book Bender said...

Oh yeah. I had forgotten about the side investigation Savich was doing. Yeah, part of me wonders if it had something to do with previous books?

I also think that if this was supposed to be a romantic suspense, Lucy and Coop should have been our only points of view with Savich and Sherlock only playing a minimal role.

Split Second preorder said...

I love a good thriller book and reading "Split Second" makes me forget time. I particularly enjoy reading it before I go to sleep at night.

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I love her historicals but have never gotten into her thrillers. :(

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

That is sad to hear. It sounded really good until you got to the side stories. LOL. :-( Great review Christi. I think you did a good job of being honest without being hateful, which some people have problems with...I'll be passing on this one though.