Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Only Mine by Susan Mallery


Title:   Only Mine
Author: Susan Mallery
My Rating: B+

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Fools Gold #4
Main Characters: Dakota & Finn
Release Date: July 2011
ISBN
978-0373775880
Publisher: Harlequin
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $4.79
Sexual Intensity: spicy

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
You can't win if you don't play...


Her town's lack of men may make headlines, but it isn't news to Dakota Hendrix. The beautiful blonde has bigger problems to deal with, such as overseeing the romance reality competition filming in Fool's Gold. Screening eligible bachelors is a difficult enough task, but Dakota hits an unexpected snag when a sexy stranger comes to town.
Finn Anderssen will do anything to keep his twin brothers— the perfect contestants— off the show. Despite Dakota's better judgment, she finds herself drawn to the mysterious outsider. Like her, Finn knows about heartbreak and how a family can fall apart, so she doesn't dare to hope for anything more than a fling. After all, even in the Land of Happy Endings, finding true love is never as easy as it looks on TV.

My Review:
Fool's Gold....the little California town featured last year in the Perfect series. Now, they have been invaded by a reality television show trying to capitalize on Fool's Gold's claim to fame....way too many women, by bringing in men to pair up with those locals. 

Two of those men are 21 year-old twins, Sasha & Stephen, younger brothers of Finn Anderssen. The Anderssen boy's parents died 9 years ago leaving 22 year-old Finn to raise his 12 year-old twin brothers. He left behind his wild ways to provide them with a stable home life. Now they are 21 years-old and 3 months away from graduating from college when they decide to join the reality show. Finn is livid.

Talking him from the cliff and plans of kidnapping the twins is Dakota... psychologist. She uses humor and a good dose of reality to talk him back from the ledge and he's smart enough to accept her advice and see her wisdom. These scenes are some of the best in the book. Their quick and witty repertoire is so fun to read. 

I really liked Finn and Dakota together, but there are complications standing in the way of their relationship. Dakota is in the middle of trying to adopt after finding out that her chances of ever getting pregnant are about a million to one. She's one step away from full-on family/responsibility mode. Finn was forced into that mode 9 years ago at age 22 and he's ready for a bit of freedom. He gave up his youth for his brothers and as soon as he gets them graduated, he wants to relish doing some living for himself again.

It's not a new story line, but I liked the way that Susan Mallery wove it all together. The town of Fool's Gold is wonderful with its quirky characters. Dakota is one of the girls from a set of triplets. She's had a tough year, but she's resilient and found her way back to accepting what fate has thrown at her with a positive spin. I love her relationship with her sisters and mother and how they deal with each other. There is lots of good-natured ribbing happening with this group.

Finn is not quite so positive. He and the twins carry quite a bit of snark about with them, which makes their conversations very fun. I had quite a few LOL moments with their comments in this book. 

This was one of those books that was simply fun to read. Good drama, fun romance, and a few surprises and laughs along the way. I am looking forward to the next two books in the series.


11 comments:

Jenn3128 said...

Great Review!

I found the relationship with her sisters to be my favorite part of the whole book.

CHA-CHA said...

I love the little surprises along the way & the quirks between the characters. I'm longing for the next book. Good job on the review!

Heidi said...

I loved Dakota's sense of humor and Finn's devotion to his family. Susan Mallery is one of my all time favorite Romance Writers and ONLY MINE is a perfect example of why she is!

Kelly Lynn said...

I agree that the backdrop of Fools Gold helps make the story. And that the snark coming from Finn is absolutely wonderful. His chemistry and dialogue with Dakota make the story an incredibly enjoyable read. Excited for Montana's story next month!

Angela MacIntyre said...

I LOVED this book!! The dialogue is fantastic, snarky and humorous and honest, all at the same time. I laughed a lot during the exchanges between sisters, brothers, as well as Dakota and Finn. The conflict is believable for both of them. My oldest daughter just adopted earlier this year, and it does go FAST after the very long tedious interviews. I can't wait for the next books in the series!!

Tiffany said...

Great Review!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it too! Can't wait to hear what others think now that it's released! You should pre-order the next ones ( :

Char...... said...

Awesome Review... I loved the book and all the predecessors of it. The sisters Dakota, Navada & Montana I can relate to the bonding. I have 4 sisters. They have an exceptional relationship with their mom and its very special. I am looking forward to the sisters stories cant wait. Alas thats my feelings every time I finish one of Susan Mallery's books.

StaceyC4 said...

Great review! I loved this story and think that it's a great addition to the Fool's Gold series. I would have liked to see the twins get their own book because I wanted to hear more of Stephen's story!

shellbelle said...

What is not to love about this book! A hunky hero, a clever heroine, a side romance that made you want more of their story, and all this within the backdrop of a quirky little town and some pretty amazing towns people! I can't wait for the next two books to come out in the series:D

MissSnarky said...

I also really enjoyed reading this book. I find myself addicted to all of Susan Mallery's books, but especially the Fool's Gold Series. There is just something so fasinating about the town and the people, it's amazing.

Tiffany said...

I love sister stories! Even if you don't have a blood sister, most all women have other women in their life that are like a sister to them. It's such a relatable topic. Loved this book! Thanks for the review!