Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Man Law by Adrienne Giordano


Title:  Man Law
Author: Adrienne Giordano
My Rating: A
(this book releases July 4, 2011)

Genre: Contemporary Suspense
Series: Private Protectors #1
Main Characters: Vic & Gina
Release Date: July 2011
ISBN
e-book
Publisher: Carina Press
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $4.79
Borders- -
Sexual Intensity: spicy

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
Security Consultant Vic Andrews lives by his Man Laws:




Never mess with your best friend's sister
Never get caught
Never get attached
But he can't deny his irresistible attraction to Gina Delgado, a young widow with three kids and plenty of strings attached. Even so, having a physical relationship doesn't mean they're "in a relationship."
Gina lost her husband to tragedy; she is not getting emotionally involved with another man in a dangerous profession. Sleeping with Vic is just stress relief.
Until one of Vic's assignments goes wrong and the target selects Gina and her kids for revenge. There's nothing Vic won't do to protect Gina and the children—the family he realizes, too late, he wants. He'll accomplish his mission but will he have lost his only chance at true love?

My Review:
First things first...this is a wonderful book. I really, really like it. Vic is just... um, wonderfully yummy! He is a private security contractor with a highly dangerous job. He works for Michael, Gina's brother. Gina is a widow. Her husband was a firefighter who died in a building collapse 4 years ago, leaving her as a single mother to 3 kids. She also works at the security firm, but in the accounting department. As a result, Gina & Vic are friends both at work and in a lot of social settings, but for some reason (a bit of explosive chemistry maybe) every time they get in an environment with only the two of them, everything spontaneously combusts. BUT he lives a dangerous life and she needs to provide a stable home for her children and herself. They agree...it's just not a good mix. Then something from an op goes wrong and Vic is betrayed. Suddenly Gina and her kids are in the cross-hairs of one very bad terrorist.

Everything about this book was so good. It was super suspenseful with great action. I loved Vic and Gina. They provided such a great balance to each other. I loved Gina. She has had a rough time of it and simply concentrated her life for her kids. Now she is seeing that she needs something for her...and Vic may just fit that if they can work it all through.

I loved how all the guys in this book are more than a little leery of the women when they get emotional. They bond over it, but aren't afraid to throw one of the other guys of the group to the wolves if it means saving themselves. Even little 7 yo Lilly can send them running (Tiny & Lilly- sob- gorgeous, heartbreaking aspect to this story. I love how he connected with her.)

And, of course, we have to talk about Vic's Man Laws. Too funny. At the beginning of each chapter in the book is one of Vic's Man Laws. Things like:
*Never mess with your best friend's sister.
*Never get suckered into a chick flick.
*Never wonder if you should have thrown the asshole off the roof.
Then we proceed through the chapter and watch that Man Law fall by the wayside. Hehe.

Like I said, this was an absolutely fabulous read. The story is wonderful, but I think that one of the things that made it outstanding is that Adrienne Giordano wrote the book mainly from Vic's point of view and he is such a guy. His inner-monologue had me giggling throughout the entire book. I can't remember any romance novel that has done so much from the hero's point of view or done it so incredibly well. Bravo, Adrienne! I love what you have done here and cannot wait to read further installments (coming in Sept and Nov) to this wonderful series!!

5 comments:

Amanda @ On a Book Bender said...

Written from the guy's perspective? Fascinating. I may have to read this one.

Rachael Johns said...

LOVE the MAn Law's! This book is on my TBR pile and i can't wait :)

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I enjoyed this book too! It was fun, very alpha, and all the characters were likable. I even teared up in one section!

Adrienne Giordano said...

Thank you, Christi for such a fabulous review! I'm so thrilled you enjoyed Vic and his exploits. I had a great time writing this book and it's rewarding to know readers are connecting with my challenging hero.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

Oh my gosh! this book sounds AWESOME. I'm going to put this on my TBR list RIGHT NOW! Also...love the laws at the beginning of the chapters. Oh man...and a book from the man's POV only...you've got me sold, yet again...thanks for making my TBR list a book bigger. ;-)