Friday, July 15, 2011

Kindling the Moon by Jenn Bennett


Title:   Kindling the Moon
Author: Jenn Bennett
My Rating: A

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: An Arcadia Bell Novel #1
Main Characters: Arcadia & Lon
Release Date: June 2011
ISBN
978-0440244493
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $6.39
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Meet Arcadia Bellbartender, renegade magician, fugitive from the law. . . .


Being the spawn of two infamous occultists (and alleged murderers) isn’t easy, but freewheeling magician Arcadia “Cady” Bell knows how to make the best of a crummy situation. After hiding out for seven years, she’s carved an incognito niche for herself slinging drinks at the demon-friendly Tambuku Tiki Lounge.

But she receives an ultimatum when unexpected surveillance footage of her notorious parents surfaces: either prove their innocence or surrender herself. Unfortunately, the only witness to the crimes was an elusive Æthyric demon, and Cady has no idea how to find it. She teams up with Lon Butler, an enigmatic demonologist with a special talent for sexual spells and an arcane library of priceless stolen grimoires. Their research soon escalates into a storm of conflict involving missing police evidence, the decadent Hellfire Club, a ruthless bounty hunter, and a powerful occult society that operates way outside the law. If Cady can’t clear her family name soon, she’ll be forced to sacrifice her own life . . . and no amount of running will save her this time.

My Review:
This is a book that I bought purely because Julie (Yummy Men & Kick-Ass Chicks) insisted and I always do what Julie tells me to do. ;o) No, seriously, this book has been getting some serious buzz and not just from Julie so I was anxious to read it.


I'll admit- it took me a long time to get into this book. I think that I was somewhere around page 90 when I realized that yes, this book was going to live up to the hype... and I fell in love with Lon & Jupe.


These two guys...Wow!! If I didn't already have an awesome family, I'd take them. Lon is a professional photographer with a penchant for "obtaining" rare occult manuscripts. Seriously, he has a biometric-secured library within his house- completely cool and he is serious about his collection. Then there is Jupe, his 13 year old son, full of teenage attitude, but completely lovable. I love the repertoire between the two of them. They have a great relationship and Cady fits right into that brilliantly. I love Jupe and Cady's little chats- he is up-front like only a  young teenager can be. Cady treats him with respect and honesty that I love.


Along with the great characters and romance in this book, there is also a great suspenseful story line.  This book has everything and I understand why everyone has been raving about it. Cady is definitely kick-ass. She's doing everything that she can to save her parents, but she seems to be working against the rest of the world besides Lon & Jupe. She also has some kick-ass magic skills which are awesome to read about. The magical aspect of this book was so fun. I think that this is the first time that I have read a book featuring a magician. It's a skill that is very much shunned by the demon world. Regardless of that, I love that Lon is fascinated by it and practices the skill as a demon. 


Overall, I highly recommend this one and am so excited about the future books in this series.

6 comments:

Amanda @ On a Book Bender said...

I just got this book from Tara yesterday! lol. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. :)

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

You people are killing my pocket book! LOL. My problem right now is another awesome book comes out so I just HAVE to get it and so I do with full intentions of reading it, then another amazing book comes out so I go buy it and never get around to reading the last one. :-( Damn not being able to read as fast or as much! :-(

Ok I'm done throwing my fit. :-P But seriously I'm very happy you enjoyed it so much after all the hype and I know I will get around to reading it one day.

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I am waiting on this book--I have found that with UF I have to wait till a few books in the series are out. It just takes me awhile to warm up to the characters.

Christi Snow said...

Amanda...enjoy!

Deanna...hehe. I am sorry?? ;o0

Felicia...I am not a big urban fantasy fan because of that very thing, but I found this book to be REALLY satisfying as a first read in the series. There's no waiting 3 books for the romance to really develop. It was gorgeous in this book and I really loved it!

Julie said...

Yay Yay Yay Yay Yay!!!!!!!

Smash Attack! said...

I so want to read this! Thanks for the fab review. I'm glad Julie bullied you into reading it. If you both loved it, it will rock! ☺