Saturday, July 16, 2011

Dark is the Night by Brindle Chase


Title:   Dark is the Night
Author: Brindle Chase
My Rating: C

Genre: Paranormal Erotic Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Katherine & Alexander
Release Date: June 2011
ISBN
978-1-4580-5636-8
Publisher: Forlorn Hope
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $0.99
ARE- $0.99
Sexual Intensity: erotic

A copy of this book was provided to me by the author in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
Katherine Wells is Cleveland’s top homicide detective and she’s hot on the trail of the Antoinette killer. The string of burnt and beheaded bodies have little in common, except they keep turning up. In search of clues, she encounters Alexander. His intoxicating old world persona captivates her and she suddenly finds herself in a torrid love affair. The passion is overwhelming and her sense of law falls into blissful chaos.
 
As an elder vampire, Alexander struggles for anonymity in the modern world. Killing isn’t personal; it’s to prevent them from becoming the undead. His kind can’t be discovered. With Katherine’s investigation getting too close to the truth, the other vampires demand he eliminate Detective Wells.
 
Katherine discovers Alexander’s supernatural secret and he learns Katherine’s the detective he must silence. The revelations are shocking. He’s everything she ever wanted and everything she stood against. Torn between a love like no other and the law she’s sworn to uphold, she must choose. Against time, the police and the other vampires, they must destroy the evidence she’s collected and join the undead.
 
My Review:
Dark. Edgy. Erotic. This is not a book like my normal reads. It's a love story that features a vampire, but this is not one of your kindler, gentler vampire love stories. These vampires are predators in every sense of the word and make no qualms about that fact. The hero of the novel is Alexander, a 1000+ year-old vampire. He is completely honest about the fact that he kills and sometimes he even enjoys those kills because that is purely his nature as a vampire.

The heroine is Katherine. She is a homicide detective investigating a serial killer who beheads his victims...Alexander. In this world, if a vampire drinks from a human, they will automatically become a vampire within three days if they are not beheaded. Alexander has to feed, but he knows that the world does not need anymore vampires, so he beheads those that he feeds from. For him, it is simply a matter of the cycle of life.

Katherine & Alexander fall in love instantly- they are truly lifemates and their bodies recognize that, but neither one of them realizes whom the other is. Katherine is trying to bring this killer to justice and Alexander has been commanded by the vampires to kill the investigator who is getting too close to capturing/discovering him.

Their passion is explosive to the detriment of everything else, esp. the morals of Katherine's existence. This was the one thing that truly bothered me in this book- that she became such a mindless slave to her passions. In the book, she is also completely aware that her moral structure is breaking down in the face of her relationship with Alexander.

"If someone had told me a month ago that I would be the willing accomplice to murder, two in fact, I would have called them crazy. But it didn't sot there. I had broken dozens of laws by falsifying, deleting, and destroying evidence. Again, had it been said I would do this, I would have laughed it off as ridiculous.

Not only did these actions go against everything I though I stood for, I found that I had no regrets. I was terrified, but not by my actions. What scared me the most lay in how I had discovered the shocking truth of what I would do for love. How far would I go? What wouldn't I do?"

It did make for a highly erotic book though. The passion in it is VERY well-done!

This wasn't necessarily the book for me, but that's simply because I don't like my entertainment this dark. But the book is very well-written and I could imagine someone that is a fan of dark-writing or even horror would enjoy it a great deal.

2 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

not my kind of book but great review. I know there are people who would love it!

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

Oh Christi this sounds fantastic! I can understand why it wouldn't be the book for you if you just don't like the darker stories. I don't mind them at all so this one is going on my TBR list for sure. :-D