Friday, July 8, 2011

Countdown to Love by Julie Ford



Title:  Countdown to Love
Author: Julie Ford
My Rating: A-

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Dillon & Kelly
Release Date: July 2011
ISBN
978-1599555164
Publisher: Cedar Fort
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $12.47
Borders- $11.19
Sexual Intensity: mild

I received my copy of this book via NetGalley for the purpose of an honest review.

Story Overview:
Kelly Grace Pickens is an excited bride - until she's abandoned at the altar. Desperate, she accepts an offer to appear on a reality TV show, Count Down to Love. Her country ways are a stark contrast to the mysterious bachelor from New York. Wading through hurt and betrayal both on and off screen, Kelly discovers that being true to yourself is essential to finding happiness and love.

My Review:
This was a completely entertaining and fun read. After being left at the alter and with a huge pile of bills and an eviction notice, Kelly finds herself suddenly on the Bachelor-like show, Countdown to Love, that her cousin helps to produce. Planning to be tossed off the show the 1st episode, Kelly is just looking for a paycheck. What she doesn't take into account is Dillon and after a 5 minute intense chat on the terrace, he is not willing to let her leave the show yet.

Dillon tried out for the show on a challenge from his employees, never expecting that he'd actually be the guy chosen as the bachelor. He's realistic about the fact that he's not going to find a love match, but he's at the point in his life plan where he is definitely open to the idea. He likes Kelly. She's upfront and honest and totally unlike the other girls on the show. She is also completely up-front with him about the fact that she's still in love with Trevor and not interested in winning the game (i.e. his love.) But as their friendship grows, so do the feelings between Kelly & Dillon, but the game and Kelly's unresolved feelings for her ex-fiance are in the way. 

The one thing that did bug me was Kelly's unfounded faith in her ex-fiance Trevor. She just would not believe that he was an opportunistic bastard, regardless of how he left her in such a lurch. That naivety bugged me esp when on the other hand, she had this great guy Dillon who was showing signs of loving her and she wouldn't trust him an inch.

Overall, this was a good premise for a romance novel and a completely fun to read. I have never really watched the Bachelor, but I may have to start after reading this novel. Really entertaining! 

4 comments:

Somer said...

This sounds like a fun summer read! Thanks for the review!

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

Oh FUN! I love the sounds of this book. :-) It is going on my TBR list this very instant. Great review Christi!

As for the show in real life...I haven't watched the past few seasons but when it first started out it was a pretty good show. Now it's turned into a jerk of a guy trying to sleep with all of the women because these women equate sex with love and then he votes them off and they are devistated because, "I thought he loved me." Then you want to smack them upside the head and say, "He didn't love you he just wanted to have sex with you, idiot!" LOL. My sister and her friends enjoy the show but I've found it to be too much dumb drama. If you do end up catching this next season you'll have to tell me what you think! :-)

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

That does seem like a really fun read! Great for summer :)

I don't watch the Bachelor but I don't think it would be that entertaining. :)

queries2reviews said...

Christi,

You have such a fun blog. Thank you for the great review! I'm so glad you enjoyed the story.

Julie N Ford