Saturday, June 11, 2011

Under Fire by Jo Davis


Title:  Under Fire
Author: Jo Davis
My Rating: A+

Genre: Contemporary Suspense
Series: Firefighters of Station Five #2
Main Characters: Zack & Cori
Release Date: May 2009
ISBN
978-0451226792
Publisher: Signet Eclipse
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $6.39
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
it doesn't get hotter than this!
Zack fights fires and saves lives, yet his own thirst for life has run dry-until he comes to the rescue of a sharp-tongued exotic dancer named Corrine Shannon who soon has the normally shy hero burning out of control.
But just as they are consumed by flames of passion, they find themselves under fire from two relentless enemies with fifty million reasons to succeed. Can they withstand the heat while trying to save their own lives-or will their newfound romance be extinguished as fast as it began?

My Review:
One word for this book...emotional...OMG, is it ever! Poor Zack just can't catch a break. Over the past few months, he has lost every single thing that has mattered to him. As this book starts, his despair is palpable and you just want to cry for him. 

And then he dies.

See, I told you- E.MO.TION.AL! And that's only the first 2 chapters.

Zack is the geek of the group. He has a crazy-high IQ, hacked into the FBI computer system when he was only 12. He grew up as the overweight, awkward kid. He is not that way anymore- the physical conditioning of firefighting has him in prime shape, but he has never moved past that awkward kid with girls so he is an innocent- a virgin.

Cori is a nursing student/exotic dancer. The book starts with Zack running into the back of her card because he's sick and exhausted from working overtime. Later she has a second accident which leaves her car hanging off the side of the bridge. Station Five is called to the scene of the accident where Zack saves her life at the cost of his own safety. She has lots of skeletons and secrets in her closet (which also intertwine with Zack's issues, they just don't realize it,) but at heart is a really good and kindhearted person just wanting to make a difference in people's lives (i.e. nursing school.)

I loved this book. The odds are so stack against Zack & Cori making it, but they love each other so much and are such good people. As a reader, you are pulling for them throughout the entire book and honestly at the halfway point, I still could not see how Jo Davis was going to manage a HEA for them.

Every second of this book pulls at your heartstrings and I loved it. I think that this one is going to be my favorite of the entire series because I can't imagine any of the others being able to top it.

6 comments:

BookaholicCat said...

I haven't read anything from Jo Davis. This one looks good. Is this a stand alone or I should read book 1 of this series first?
Great review.

Christi Snow said...

This is number 2 in the series, but I think that you could read it without having read #1 just fine. The characters are recurring, but the story lines are independent. I LOVE all of them though!

Jen D. @ Not Now...I'm Reading! said...

You are wrecking serious havoc on my TBR pile woman but, I loves it. =)

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Ok Ok I am convinced! Next months budget in part is going to this series :)

Julie said...

Okay wait...he dies? @-@ I think I really need to read this now.

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

Yeah, I'm here to catch up on all the wonderful posts I missed...so yeah you'll have a ton come in today. :-) Sorry.

As for this book it sounds awesome! I'm completely with Julie's reaction about him dying...I can't believe it but still, I need to read this series. I've heard nothing but great things about it and you're reviews are rocking me into wanting to read them right now. :-D