Friday, June 10, 2011

Trial by Fire by Jo Davis


Title:  Trial by Fire
Author: Jo Davis
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Suspense
Series: Firefighters of Station Five #1
Main Characters: Kat & Howard
Release Date: August 2008
ISBN
978-0451224774
Publisher: Signet Eclipse
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $6.99
Borders- $5.59
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Dont get burned...
Lieutenant Howard “Six- Pack” Paxton loves three things: being a firefighter, riding his Harley, and his bachelorhood. That is, until the curvaceous Kat McKenna falls into his arms at the scene of a fire—and melts the six-foot-six tower of bronze muscle…
But just as passion ignites between them—and they explore new heights of ecstasy—a ruthless arsonist with a deadly secret and a thirst for vengeance becomes their worst nightmare.

My Review:
From page one, I was hooked and did not want to put this book down. Howard is 6'6" of pure muscle and testosterone-filled man, but scars from his childhood have left him much more vulnerable than he appears. A horribly abusive childhood which he escaped from at the age of 4 when he was left for dead, have left horribly deep scars which he still deals with everyday. Kat is a 1st grade teacher. She understands how abuse at that age can affect a child and eventually the adult.

Their romance is so sweet and just romantic. Howard is this giant of a man, but he always handles Kat so gently like she is a precious treasure. Don't get me wrong, they are very passionate, but there's a gentle sweet beauty that seeps through each encounter. It was really beautifully written.

Howard is caring and loyal. He is the lieutenant for the station and is actually the glue holding all of them together with Sean (the Captain) incapacitated by grief after the death of his family. The scenes between these two are heartrending. Howard knows that Sean is on the edge of sinking and he is doing everything in his power to save his best friend. Howard is one of those guys that everyone knows and likes and respects and that plays out with his family, the guys at the station, and Kat. Knowing where he has come from makes the person that he is all that much more impressive.

There is a wonderfully written suspense story line that goes throughout the entire book with a twist at the end that I really didn't see coming. I was definitely bawling at the end of this one.

This book had it all....great emotion, great suspense, great romance, fantastic characters...everything I look for in a great book. It is definitely part of my keeper pile. I love the firemen from A team at Station Five and cannot wait to get to know the rest of their stories.

4 comments:

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

Christi you make me want to go out and buy the book RIGHT this INSTANT and read it RIGHT NOW! LOL. :-( I really need to read this series and I can't wait to read the rest of your reviews for the other books. :-)

Jen D. @ Not Now...I'm Reading! said...

Great job on this review Christi. I, like D, need this book RIGHT NOW.

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

You are loving this series and now I am going to have to buy it! I think I am going to have to do a read what you want month!

Julie said...

This sounds great! I think I need to add this to my to-read pile soon!