Friday, June 17, 2011

Storm Kissed by Jessica Andersen



Title:  Storm Kissed
Author: Jessica Andersen
My Rating: A

Genre: Paranormal Suspense
Series: NightKeepers #6
Main Characters: Dez & Reese
Release Date: June 2011
ISBN
978-0451233752
Publisher: Signet Eclipse
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $4.79
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
When sexy Nightkeeper Dez goes rogue, the bounty hunter enlisted to catch him is Reese, his former lover. The sexual energy between them is hotter than ever-but the life-and-death stakes attached to the chase may pull them apart for good.

My Review:
Wow! WoW! WOW! I picked this book up on a total whim- hadn't heard a single thing about it and hadn't heard of the author. That gorgeous cover caught my eye and the story line sounded really interesting so I bought it. It turns out that this is #6 in the NightKeepers series. Although, I haven't read any of the others, I didn't have any issues understanding this complicated story line. Now I fully plan to pick up the other 5 books in the series as soon as possible. Yes, it absolutely was that good- I need to read all of these NOW!

Let me see if I can explain the backstory a bit on this one. Reese and Dez met on the streets of Denver and teamed up to watch each other's backs. They were best friends, living togethers, and totally reliant upon one another. That friendship was starting to morph into something more when Reese was 19. On a storm-filled night, they finally kissed, but something happened during that storm to change Dez. There's a lot more there, but that's the simplified version. Now it's 10 years later and Reese has thought that Dez has been dead for over a year until she's hired by some guys (the NightKeepers) to find him. They swear that he is very much alive.

The paranormal aspect of the backstory is a bit more complicated. The entire series is based upon the Mayan prophesies that the world is going to end Dec. 21, 2012. The NightKeepers are "members of an ancient race sworn to protect  mankind from annihilation in the years leading up to Dec. 21, 2012, when the barrier separating the earth and the underworld will fall and the lords of the underworld will seek to precipitate the apocalypse." (as defined in Storm Kissed) These NightKeepers (which Dez is one) are magi and each have their own magic and powers. They work and live together and are trying to keep the world from destructing in 2012.

This book is so deep with so many layers and amazingly written characters. It's extremely well thought-out and very creative. It reminded me a LOT of JR Ward's BDB series- the world is set up in a similar way esp. the king's story line- although I think that this world is even more complex than JR Ward's.

Dez & Reese....just WOW!! I loved both of them so much! They have such a connection from growing up on the street together. Unfortunately, Reese no longer trusts Dez to make the right choices even though there has been a significant change in him- she knows him too well and knows how deceptive he can be. They are explosive together and there is no denying that their chemistry is still fully present- if not actually hotter than when they were younger. Reese is tough, courageous, and smart. Her overall goal is to make the world a better place which is why she feels right at home working with the NightKeepers. She has a bit of a wild streak too, although she has spent the last few years trying to bury it. Being around Dez again has brought it back out. Dez loves Reese and knows that he hurt her which is devastating to him. He has a HUGE protective streak esp. when it comes to Reese. They are awesome together.

I cannot wait to go back and read the previous 5 books and then there are 3 more releasing in 2012. Yippee!!

5 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I am so glad that you liked it! It really is a very neat, unique, interesting premise. Almost a cross between Fantasy and Romance :)

tjbedard said...

I love this series! It's a great mix of paranormal romance and Mayan mythology, both of which I love!

Traci

Julie said...

Oh my goodness. You totally made me want to read this right now! So you have to quickly read the rest of the series so I can see if I want to read them all now. ;)

Christi Snow said...

Girls, I have now read book #1 and it was just as good as this one. Loving this series so far (just started book #2) I think that this is definitely going to be one of those to add to your TBR piles or wish lists!!!

paperbackdaydreamer.com said...

Oh wow, you enjoyed this book that much. That is awesome! I'm glad that even starting at book 6 you weren't lost and I can't wait to see what you think of the first 5 books. It's nice to see how excited you are for the next 3 books that will be releasing in 2012 too. :-) I might need to check this series out as well. You review books too well Christi! :-P