Thursday, June 16, 2011

Nightfall by Ellen Connor


Title:  Nightfall
Author: Ellen Connor
My Rating: A

Genre: Paranormal Suspense
Series: Dark Age Dawning Series #1
Main Characters: Jenna & Mason
Release Date: June 2011
ISBN
978-0425241691
Publisher: Berkley Sensation
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $9.61
Borders- $12.00
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
First in a stunning new post-apocalyptic paranormal romance trilogy.
Growing up with an unstable, often absent father who preached about the end of the world, Jenna never thought in her wildest nightmares that his predictions would come true. Or that he would have a plan in place to save her-one that includes the strong, stoic man who kidnaps and takes her to a remote cabin in the Pacific Northwest.

The mysterious ex-Marine named Mason owes a life-debt to Jenna's father. Skilled and steadfast, he's ready for the prophesied Change, but Jenna proves tough to convince. Until the power grid collapses and mutant dogs attack-vicious things that reek of nature gone wrong.

When five strangers appear, desperate to escape the bloodthirsty packs, Jenna defies her protector and rescues them. As technology fails and the old world falls away, Jenna changes too, forever altered by supernatural forces. To fight for their future, she and Mason must learn to trust their instinctive passion-a flame that will see them through the bitter winter, the endless nights, and the violence of a new Dark Age.

My Review:
I have read a lot of the YA dystopian novels and have really enjoyed them so I was looking forward to this adult version of the end of the world. It did not disappoint.

Jenna always thought that her father, who constantly prophesied about the end of the world, was crazy. So when one of her father's followers, Mason, kidnaps her from her home, she thinks that he's crazy too... That is until devil dogs attack them. Suddenly the prophesies don't seem quite so far-fetched and Jenna finds herself relying and trusting Mason to keep her alive and safe.

Mason has learned how to survive in this new world the hard way. His entire team died and although Mason managed to stay alive, he's never let himself get attached to anyone again...until Jenna.

There is a lot to this book. It starts out very simply with Jenna and Mason alone in the cabin in the woods, basically just waiting out the changes happening in the world and trying to learn how to get along. Then 5 strangers show up on their doorstep (which Jenna lets in against Mason's wishes) and suddenly survival is going to take more. The action and the suspense starts to really pick up from there.

Jenna and Mason share a special magical connection. As they become closer and come to rely on each other more, they realize that they can speak to each other telepathically. This is just one of the magical aspects to this new world. Others include: the glow from the changed devil dogs, the little girl Penny (I cannot wait to hear more of her story,) and the electrically charged atmosphere. A lot of these remain a mystery as to the "why's" and I am hoping some answers will be included in the upcoming other two novels of the trilogy.

In this book, it takes a long time for Jenna and Mason to finally connect and I really like that about it. Life is crazy and, for a lot of the story, esp. when they first are together, they really are not too happy to be stuck with each other, but then the telepathic bond happens and they start to connect on a more emotional level. I liked the believability of that relationship arc. And I really liked them once they got together. Things get really emotional for them quick and you all know that I like some good angst to a story...this one is good for that.

I really, really enjoyed this book and cannot wait for the next two coming out at the end of the year:
Midnight is coming out in Sept. 16 and takes place three years after Nightfall
This is Chris' story.

Daybreak is coming out Dec. 6 and takes place 12 years after Nightfall
This is Tru & Penny's story, the kids from Nightfall and I am so excited that they are getting their own story because I loved their characters in Nightfall.

And wow, aren't all three of these covers gorgeous?!? I love looking at them all together. A fabulous trilogy to come!!!




4 comments:

BookaholicCat said...

This book (series) sounds gooood. I'm adding it to my TBR.
I agree with you, the covers are beautiful.
Great review.

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Adult Dystopian---I might have to check it out. I am kind of over YA dystopian for the moment.

Julie said...

I am actually really interested in knowing more about Penny, but I won't be continuing with this series. I just don't think Dystopian books are for me. So when you read her book, you'll have to tell me what her deal is. *g*

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

Hmm...I've seen some people enjoy this series and other not enjoy it. Maybe I'll wait until you read and review the next book later this year and see if I want to try it out...or maybe I should just try the book out now and see what I think before the next two are released. Oh decisions....