Wednesday, June 1, 2011

McKettricks of Texas: Garrett by Linda Lael Miller



Title:   McKettricks of Texas: Garrett
Author: Linda Lael Miller
My Rating: B+

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: McKettricks of Texas #2
Main Characters: Garrett McKettrick & Julie Remington
Release Date: May 2010
ISBN0373774419 or 
978-0373774418
Publisher: Harlequin 
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $4.96
Borders- $6.39
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Fast track up the political ladder, fast cars, fast women—that's Garrett McKettrick. Make that was. A scandal has brought him home to Blue River, Texas, a place where a man can slow down, take stock and plan his next move. Which doesn't include staying at the family ranch with his brothers. A city boy, Garrett doesn't think he has the land in his blood.

But Blue River has other attractions, like his former high school nemesis, Julie Remington. Now a striking woman, Julie comes complete with a four-year-old cowboy, a three-legged beagle and deep ties to the community. Good thing they have nothing in common…except their undeniable attraction and a future brighter than the Texas sun.

My Review:
Garrett's a politician with his eyes on the Senate. Julie's a small town teacher with her eyes on the next school play. On paper, they have nothing in common, but when Julie's house is getting fumigated and Garrett is suddenly and unexpectedly fired, they find themselves living together in the McKettrick sprawling mansion and the chemistry starts to churn.

This book was great! I loved the added element that Calvin (Julie's son, age 4) contributed to the book. He's such a wise little boy with the heart of a 50 year old man- it's really very sweet. I also really loved that there was a lot more interaction between the brothers in this one. These McKettrick boys are awesome together. They fight amongst themselves a lot, but underneath it all, they really love each other and the ranch that they all own together. The climatic scene in this one with the brothers... heart-stopping!

Because Garrett works out of Austin, there was quite a bit of the time that Garrett and Julie were in separate places. This was a neat bit of writing by LLM because it added an interesting dimension for Garrett to be on TV handling press conferences with Julie and her sisters elsewhere reacting to him on screen.

Overall, this was a good one!

3 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Linda Leal Miller is one of the authors that I have read for years. But until I read the Creed series, I had not read her cowboys! Sounds like this is a fantastic series I will have to pick up!

PS I read all 3 reviews and posted here cause I am lazy like that today LOL

Christi Snow said...

LOL...I just picked up the first 2 books in the Creeds series today! LOVE me some cowboys!! smiles...

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

Ok, I see the next review I'm going to read is the next in this series...if it's still this good I'm placing them on my TBR pile! Great review again and I'm happy your still enjoying them. :-)