Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Highlander's Touch by Karen Marie Moning


Title:  The Highlander's Touch
Author: Karen Marie Moning
My Rating: C-

Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Highlanders #3
Main Characters: Circenne & Lisa
Release Date: November 2000
ISBN0440236525 or 
978-0440236528
Publisher: Dell
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $6.39
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:

A Warrior of Immortal Powers
He was a mighty Scottish warrior who lived in a world bound by ancient laws and timeless magic. But no immortal powers could prepare the laird of Castle Brodie for the lovely accursed lass who stood before him. A terrible trick of fate had sent her 700 years back in time and into his private chamber to tempt him with her beauty - and seduce him with a desire he could never fulfill. For this woman he burned to possess was also the woman he had foresworn to destroy.

A Woman Caught in the Mists of Time
When Lisa felt the earth move under her feet, the fiercely independent 21st-century woman never dreamed she was falling...into another century. But the powerful, naked warrior who stood glaring down at her was only too real...and too dangerously arousing. Irresistibly handsome he might be, but Lisa had no intention of remaining in this savage land torn by treachery and war. How could she know that her seductive captor had other plans for her...plans that would save her from a tragic fate? Or that this man who had long ago forsaken love would defy time itself to claim her for his own....

My Review:
19 years ago when dh and I first got married, I worked in a bookstore. At that time, I read TONS of historical novels and ADORED time-travel novels. If I had read this book then, I think that I would have enjoyed it more. Unfortunately, at this point in my life, I just don't enjoy historicals like I used to. This book really drug for me- lots of historical/medieval detail that I am just not that interested in anymore.

That being said, I am still very glad that I stuck with this book even though my huge TBR pile was calling my name. There was a HUGE surprise at the end which I feel will come into play later in the series. And yes, I am going to continue reading the series. Glancing at the back covers to come, it looks like the coming books have a more contemporary feel...so I am not giving up the series yet.

And because I have it marked and it gave me a giggle, let me share this quote with you from the book. It is from Circenne, the hero in the novel, who is fairly rigid about his life rules...
He'd sternly reminded himself of rule number four-- no physical intimacy. But it had done him no good. Rule number four seemed to have become quite friendly with rule number one-- never break an oath- and was cozying up nicely to rule number two-- do not lie. What a crowd they were becoming, his broken rules.

Remember, all book reviews are subjective. This is one of those books that most people really love. I just didn't happen to be one of them. ;o)

7 comments:

Amber Hight said...

I'm one of those who LOVED this book! But I can see where if you like the more contemporary romance, this might have been hard to stick with! I personally like to switch between all different genres, time periods, it just makes them all so much more enjoyable:) Glad you stuck with it though! I'm excited to see what the next book is like:)
Oh and I loved that quote too, made me giggle, lol!

Amy said...

I actually liked this one too not as much as some of the others though..BUT..here's what I will say starting with book 4 you start reading about the MacKeltars..and they are Hot..:) enjoy!

Julie said...

I LOVE KMM's style and voice. I ADORE her fever books. But I just couldn't continue with this series after the second book. I think it was just too historical for me maybe?.. I was told many times that the series truly starts with this book, but I still can't do it. :(

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

I'm glad to hear that even though this book was tough for you to get through you're still going to try reading the next few books. I am going into the series with an open mind. I have books 1 & 2 on my shelf at home right now.

*Lisa Stieg* said...

I loved this series so much! Although I didn't find the last book to be as good as the others...

In hindsight, I sure wish I had read this series before the Fever Series, but they were sure fun either way! I have a friend reading them now and discussing them makes me want to read them all AGAIN!!! LOL!

Just started the "Bloodsworn Legacy" series by Karin Tabke. Have you read them?

Christi Snow said...

Lisa, Hey girly!!! I haven't read any of Karin Tabke's books yet, but I did just buy Blood Law. It is in the pile that I am taking on vacation with me next week. Are you enjoying her stuff??
smiles...

*Lisa Stieg* said...

Amy, you are so right...the MacKeltars are most definitely HOT!!! I'm a big fan of Daegus myself!!! He is so bad!!!

Christi, I did really enjoy Karin Tabke's books, Master of Craving the most. The are historical simply because they take place in the past, but I didn't find there was too much "history" to sift through. Although I really do love historical fiction, especially ones that have to to with sexy warriors! OH MY! Maybe I just didn't notice the history! LOL! They are nothing like Gabaldon's works, if that's what you mean. She's still the best in my book...