Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dreams Unleashed by Linda Hawley


Title:  Dreams Unleashed
Author: Linda Hawley
My Rating: B-

Genre: Contemporary Suspense
Series: The Prophesies #1
Main Characters: Ann Torgeson
Release Date: May 2011
ISBNe-book
Publisher: Nouveau Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Barnes & Noble- -
Amazon- $2.99
Borders- -
Sexual Intensity: g-rated

I received my copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
It’s the future year of 2015, where technology governs life. No one on the globe is free from being tracked through government RFID. The worldwide underground organization, GOG, is the one group equipped to fight against citizens’ loss of privacy. Ann Torgeson is a technical writer working for a tidal energy company—living a seemingly normal life in the Pacific Northwest—when her vivid dreams turn real. Is her training as a paranormal CIA agent when she was nineteen years old now altering the doorway between her subconscious and reality? When Ann starts to dig into her past, her present begins to unravel, leading the reader through events that twist and turn everything upside down. Question everything you know is essential in this dystopian trilogy.

My Review:
Okay, up-front, this is absolutely NOT my normal type of read. The author contacted me to review her book and after glancing at the first couple of chapters, I was intrigued. After reading it, I am still not sure exactly how to classify the book- probably suspense.

The book is made up of vignettes in time. As the reader, you are jumping around the life of Ann- anywhere from 1988-2015. For the first half of the book, these jumps don't make a whole lot of sense, but slowly they start to come together so that you can see why they are all significant. It's like a present that you are slowly unwrapping layer by layer. Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about the storyline (besides what's in the Story Overview above) without taking some of the twists and turns out of those layers for you. Trying to figure out how it all fits together is what kept me reading and intrigued.

It's an interesting story with a lot of current-day political undertones. This is the first of a trilogy, so there are absolutely a lot of unanswered questions that are left hanging. I was surprised at how abrupt the ending was although there seemed to be a huge clue there. It will be interesting to see where book 2 picks up. 

Like I said, definitely not my normal fare. I spread my reading of it out over several days so that I could absorb all that was happening and read several other books in the same time frame (which is also not a normal thing for me...I tend to read one book at a time) so that I didn't get bogged down in it because there is a lot to the book. If you are looking for a more mainstream fiction read with the ability to make you think, this may just be the book(s) for you.

4 comments:

Amanda (On a Book Bender) said...

I'm always torn on whether I want a book to make me think or not. Sometimes I do, sometimes I just want to be mindlessly entertained. Sounds like an interesting book, though!

Julie said...

I have recently come to the conclusion that dystopian books just aren't for me. I just find them too...I don't know really. I just don't click with them. :(

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Not a fan of the cover...

I am with Julie, overall dystopian books are not for me. I have read some that I liked (Enclave, the first 2 of The Hunger Games) however didn't like book 3 of The Hunger Games or 4/5 other dystopian books I have tried.

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

Hmm...sounds like an interesting book. I'm glad you gave it a try and I'm happy to see that you did enjoy it even though it wasn't one of your normal reads. :-)