Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Chase by Erin McCarthy


Title:   The Chase
AuthorErin McCarthy
My Rating: A-

Genre: contemporary romance
Series: Fast Track #4
Main Characters: Kendall & Evan
Release Date: April 2011
ISBN
978-0425240144
Publisher: Berkley Sensation
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $6.39
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Kendall Holbrook is determined to make it to the top, even with the challenge of being a woman on the male-dominated racing circuit. She doesn't have time for romance-especially not with racing rival Evan Monroe, the man who nearly crushed her dream years ago. Tricked into meeting him, Kendall is experiencing all those old feelings again-and she can't deny that they still have enough chemistry to set fire to the track.

My Review:
Kendall & Evan were dating hot and heavy 10 years ago. Evan was on the verge of asking Kendall to marry him (he had the ring bought and everything) when all of a sudden, Kendall wouldn't have anything to do with him. He never understood what happened and neither one of them ever got over their love for each other despite the hurt, harsh words, and hard feelings that have defined their relationship ever since.

Overall, I really liked this book which was kind of surprising since I have never really liked Evan in the previous books. But seeing him and the way that he is around Kendall, I have changed my mind. I especially like the dynamic of Evan and Kendall together. He is a very laid-back, relaxed personality. She's a high-strung, wound-up personality. Together they provide the perfect complement for each other.

I like how accepting Evan is of his and Kendall's feelings. You would think that he would be a little leery from the events of 10 years ago, but he accepts that he hasn't been happy without Kendall. So he's willing to take and enjoy whatever he can with her right now. I loved his level of commitment to their love. He is all-in for this relationship wherever it takes them and the relationships his priority over everything else. You have to love that level of commitment from a guy and you don't see it all that often in the romance novel genre. Usually, it is the heroine in the relationship that's fully committed.

What I didn't really like about the novel was the way that the climax of the story came about at the end. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but I had real issues with Kendall's handling of it all esp. after all that they have been through in the last 10 years. Erin McCarthy explained a little behind the reasoning behind it, but I feel like that aspect of the story line needed to be further developed for me to accept Kendall's actions. I just felt like it was kind of all thrown in at the end as a last-minute justification, rather than a true issue throughout the book.

Overall, this was a great installment of the Fast Track series. Now I am really looking forward to Tuesday & Diesel's story. The 1st chapter at the end of this novel was a FABULOUS teaser!

2 comments:

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

I've heard great things about this series and I'm happy to see that you are enjoying them...I don't know why I haven't placed them on my TBR list yet...but I just haven't been able to. I'm weird, I know.

Julie said...

The ending totally killed this book for me. I was so PISSED! I was all ready to give this book a 4 or 4.5, but after that tidbit (which was totally unnecessary) I dropped it down to 3. :(