Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Undeniably Yours by Shannon Stacey


Title:   Undeniably Yours
Author: Shannon Stacey
My Rating: B+

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Kowalski's #2
Main Characters: Beth Hansen & Kevin Kowalski
Release Date: November 2010
ISBNe book
Publisher: Carina Press
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $3.89
Borders- $3.89
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:

One-night stand + two percent condom failure rate = happily ever after?

Bar owner Kevin Kowalski is used to women throwing their phone numbers at him, but lately he's more interested in finding a woman to settle down with. A woman like Beth Hansen. If only their first meeting hadn't gone so badly...

Beth's tending bar at a wedding when she comes face-to-face with a tuxedo-clad man she never thought she'd see again. She tries to keep her distance from Kevin but, by last call, she can't say no to his too-blue eyes or the invitation back to his room. Then she slips out before breakfast without leaving a note and, despite their precautions, pregnant.

Kevin quickly warms to the idea of being a dad and to seeing where things go with Beth. After all, he's not the player she thinks he is. But she's not ready for a relationship and, given his reputation, it's going to take a lot to convince her to go on a second date with the father of her child...

My Review:
Another great Kowalski read- this one Kevin's- sports bar owner, former cop, great guy, seriously sexy. He meets Beth when he thinks that she's at his bar on an awful date. Instead, she's just meeting her boss to pick up some paperwork. The resulting altercation gets Beth fired- not exactly a good first impression by Kevin. He sees her again a couple of nights later at his brother Joe's wedding where she is working. He seduces her, but she thinks that he's a player so she doesn't stick around for the next morning's walk-of-shame. Then, surprise! Condom failure = pregnant!

Kevin really liked Beth and was planning for more of a relationship with her, so he's not too upset when he finds out that she's pregnant. He's a family-oriented guy who's been thinking about settling down for a while. Beth, on the other hand, is a nomad. She likes her life like that- free, independent,  on her own. A baby is not her ideal. She's also concerned because she sees Kevin as a player and is afraid that he will regret getting involved with her and eventually hate her which will be bad for the baby. She thinks that it's better for them to just maintain their friendship rather than confuse the situation with a romance. This was the most frustrating aspect to this story for me. I don't feel that she was fair to Kevin to keep putting up roadblocks for his feelings. I felt so sorry for him throughout so much of the book. 

I loved Kevin's character. He's in a really tough situation in that Beth doesn't want a relationship, but he really does. You have to admire a guy that is willing to suck it up and take whatever he can get for the good of the baby. His heart is breaking piece by piece throughout so much of the book, that you just want to cry for him. On the other hand, I had a really hard time relating to Beth's character and why she leads such a nomadic life. She didn't have a bad childhood, but her lifestyle seems indicative of really horrible emotional scarring...it just didn't seem to fit for me and she wants Kevin who proves himself over and over to be a really great guy, so I didn't understand why she fought their attraction for so long.

There was a secondary love story in this book between Paulie, the waitress/bartender who works at Kevin's bar, and her ditched fiance Sam. I really enjoyed this aspect of the story although I honestly felt like they had enough story line that they could have carried their own book. I hope that we get to see more of their story later in the series...

Overall, I enjoyed this book and I definitely continue to love the Kowalski clan!!!

5 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Oh this sounds like a wonderful read! You do realize I am coming after you if I turn into a contemporary romance reader!

You know I love when there is a secondary love story but that is two-fold cause I almost feel like they are cheated out of their own story :)

Christi Snow said...

hehe...I will turn you to the dark side yet! I love cont. romance!! ;o)

Julie said...

Can't wait to read this one. Nice review Christi!

Amber Hight said...

I found all these for 4 bucks and under for my Nook, yay!!!!!!!! Looks awesome, your reviews are so fabulous Christi!

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

These books sounds so great. Book 1 is on my TBR list then I'll continue with the series after that one. :-D