Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Should've Been a Cowboy by Vicki Lewis Thompson



Title:   Should've Been A Cowboy
Author: Vicki Lewis Thompson
My Rating: A-

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Sons of Chance #4
Main Characters: Tyler O'Connelli & Alex Keller
Release Date: May 2011
ISBN0373796226 or 
978-0373796229
Publisher: Harlequin Blaze
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $4.99
Borders- $4.99
Sexual Intensity: hot


I received my copy from netGalley for the purpose of a honest review.


Story Overview:


Party organizer Tyler O'Connelli is on the fast track to her dream career. She's so close she can almost taste it. But when she returns to her family and sees her one-night stand, Alex Keller, all done up in his cowboy gear, her self-control is stretched to the breaking point….

They're worlds apart. She's a busy career girl, and Alex is a cowboy. But while getting together might not bode well for anything long-term, it more than makes up for it in sheer hot chemistry! Problem is, this is one wrangler she might want to get tied down—and tied up—to…indefinitely!

My Review:
I am not usually a big fan of these shorter novels, but I really enjoyed this one. It didn't read like a shorter novel at all. Tyler & Alex hooked up at her sister's wedding 10 months prior to when this book takes place. It was a passionate afternoon in the hayloft- a one time thing that has haunted both Alex & Tyler. Neither one ever tried to re-connect though so you can imagine their surprise when Tyler comes to visit her sister and they discover that their passion is burning even stronger than before. They both realize that there's a good possibility for feelings to develop so they make an agreement to keep things on a purely physical level. Tyler lives on a cruise ship and is on the verge of a huge promotion. Alex's life is on the Wyoming ranch with the large family that involves.

The story and character development in this book was really well-done and natural. This is book #4 in this series (although you absolutely do not need to have read the other 3- I haven't read them) so all the characters (and there are a lot of them) and setting are really well-defined. The whole thing flows really easily and naturally. Once I started reading, I could not put it down.

The chemistry between Tyler & Alex is nothing short of sizzling. The scenes between these two are totally hot. I loved their abandon and almost-desperation to get to each other. There is one scene where they are taking showers- separately- I am not going to give anything away, but YOWZA! These two have an amazing passion between them!

I really loved Alex's character. He grew up in Chicago and is a recent transplant to the ranch in Wyoming. He has easily stepped into the sexy-cowboy role...from his chivalrous attitude (he absolutely puts Tyler first all the time) to his gorgeous Stetson. You even get a little insight into his amazing relationship with his horse. He loves the ranch life and the families living there. You can't help but to fall in love with him and his little hopes and dreams that he's starting to develop for himself and his place on the ranch.

I didn't like Tyler's character quite as much. There were times when she ran completely hot and cold as to how much her career and other life mean to her. She has moments where she totally flip-flops within a couple of paragraphs. But you know, she's a female and there are times in life when we are all that way. ;o)

My only other complaint is that this book took place over what is really only a 2-day period. I find it hard to believe that anyone would actually give up their whole lifestyle based upon 2 days of incredible passion, but I guess that is the fantasy of a fiction novel. There's so much going on and Vicki Lewis Thompson has written it so fluidly and easily that you truly don't realize the fact that it's only 2 days until you step back and look at the events.

This is really a fun and entertaining novel. I enjoyed it immensely and was totally inspired by the passion between Tyler & Alex. A great afternoon's read... oh, and did you see that gorgeous cover up there?!? That alone is worth the price of the book. ;o) Add to that, it's a great book and you know, you need to add this one to your TBR pile!

6 comments:

Amber Hight said...

Dayum. I gotta say...that is one fine cowboy...

Christi Snow said...

I know, isn't he though?!? I have kept his photo on my computer just so I can enjoy it...although, I did finally move him to my "inspiration" folder. ;o)

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Ok first where are those cowboys? I mean really, I have seen a few in my day but they don't look like him :)

I am really beginning to like the Blaze line, they put out some nice short books that feel like a complete story to me :)

Christi Snow said...

Felicia...maybe you should head out here to W. Texas...there are a few around here that compare, although I never get to see them without their shirts for a true comparison. ;o)

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

This sounds like a fun read Christi! I am glad that you enjoyed it for the most part. I understand that whole short time period annoyance. I wish that a few weeks would at least go by in these books to show a little more meat but I do agree for being a short novel and the hot cover I think it's worth checking out! :-D Thanks for the fantastic review.

Christi Snow said...

FYI, girls...I had read my book via netGalley, but I just bought a real copy of this book so that I could look at the pretty cover. Soooo worth the $3.74 price from WalMart...and who knows, I may actually re-read it again too!! ;o)