Sunday, May 29, 2011

She Who Dares, Wins by Candace Havens


Title:   She Who Dares, Wins
Author: Candace Havens
My Rating: A-

Genre: Contemporary Suspense
Series: - -
Main Characters: Katie McClure & Macon Douglas
Release Date: March 2011
ISBN0373796110 or 
978-0373796113
Publisher: Harlequin Blaze
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $4.99
Borders- $3.89 (e-book)
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:

Well, it certainly wasn't the assignment detective Katie McClure was expecting. Traveling to London to protect an old scientist who'd been receiving death threats? Too easy.

As it turns out, Dr. Macon Douglas is hot. The kind that makes Katie ponder her own kinds of experiments—namely ones that involve Mac being naked. But the death threats are real…along with the wicked chemistry that seems to sizzle and zap whenever they're together. Can Katie keep her professional thoughts in mind and keep Mac safe—or will she risk everything and dare to be bare?

My Review:
I admit a bias- I have never been a big fan of these shorter novels because I always felt like that there wasn't enough time or room for good character or story development. With this book (on top of several other good ones that I have read recently,) I think that I can put that perception to rest. I loved this book.

The story line for this one was wonderful. Katie has been sent to London to protect Mac, a professor at a local university who is doing very important, top-secret research, after several attempts on his life. Unbeknownst to Katie, her doddering old professor is actually the studly young hottie that she picked up and had a passionate night of sex with the night before.

I really enjoyed this book. I LOVED Mac who is passionate about wanting Katie and not afraid to show it. You gotta love that in a guy. He's also extremely sweet and perceptive as well as being romantic and really smart...you know, a perfect guy. Katie is worried about losing her perspective over the case when she is falling for Mac. Letting him get killed because she is distracted is NOT an option. Besides, it's not very good for her professionally to fall for the guy that she's supposed to be protecting, but she can't seem to help herself. 

Again, this is a book that I totally enjoyed, but was also inspired by the ambience. The book takes place in Londone which is a city that I love, but it also has a couple of days of a snowy blizzard. 
Snow + London + romance = PERFECTION for me.

LOVED this read!

2 comments:

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

Sounds like a great book! Love the review and I understand about some of these books being too short. Of course if they are short that just means you can get more of them in. Or if you need a break from the longer novels they can give you that little fill before you pick up your next big challenge.

Candace said...

I just saw this. Thank you for the great review! :)