Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Naked Edge by Pamela Clare


Title:   Naked Edge
AuthorPamela Clare
My Rating: B

Genre: contemporary suspense
Series: I-Team #4
Main Characters: Sophie Alton & Marc Hunter
Release Date: March 2010
ISBN
978-0425219768 or 0425219763
Publisher: Berkley Sensation
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $7.99
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
What do you do when desire drives you to the very brink?

The day Navajo journalist Katherine James met Gabriel Rossiter, the earth literally moved beneath her feet. Nearly killed in a rockslide while hiking, she found her life in the tall park ranger's hands. Although she can't forget him she thinks she'll never see him again. She is crushed when she recognizes her rescuer among the law enforcement officers raiding a sweat lodge ceremony one night, throwing her and her friends off Mesa Butte, land they consider sacred.

Gabe long ago swore he would never again lose himself to a woman not even one with long dark hair and big eyes that seem to see right through him. But from the moment he first sees Kat, the attraction he feels is undeniable. Appalled by what he has been ordered to do, he's determined to get to the bottom of recent events at Mesa Butte and to keep Kat safe.

But asking questions can be dangerous almost as dangerous as risking one's heart. And soon Kat and Gabe's passion for the truth and each other makes them targets for those who would do anything, even kill, to keep Native Americans off their sacred land.

My Review:
There were aspects of this story that I absolutely adored and then there were other aspects of this story which just didn't do it for me.

Gabe is a man-slut. Yes, he has reasons why he is like this, but that doesn't change the fact that he is. He is very in-your-face about sex and everything to do with sex.

Kat, on the other hand, has hardly ever even kissed a man. She has grown in a traditional Indian family, in a 2 room hut with no running water or electricity, and I think 10-11 people living there. She is VERY traditional in her beliefs, but regardless of that has developed a very successful career as an investigative journalist. This was the part that I found a bit hard to understand. To come from that background, go to college, develop this award-winning journalistic career...and to still maintain such a naive innocence where she's never even really been kissed. I find that a bit hard to believe, but it's fiction right?

They are absolutely the two extremes on the sexual spectrum, and that just made me a bit uncomfortable throughout a lot of the book. Although I have to say, I loved Gabe's internal self-talk, which occurred throughout the entire book, about her experience or lack thereof and how he was constantly berating himself about her.

The aspect about this book that I absolutely LOVED was both of their love for the outdoors. Gabe is a park ranger and a serious rock-climber. There was something innately sexy about the scenes with Gabe rock-climbing. Pamela Clare's writing of these was amazing. I have never in my life rock-climbed, but I could picture every move and every flex of Gabe's muscles as she described these scenes. They were gorgeously written- almost enough to make me want to take up rock-climbing- ALMOST!

Overall, I really enjoyed the book. The end had me gasping and my heart clenching with the suspense and twists. That alone, absolutely made this a great book. Like I said, I had my issues, but overall it was good!

An aside....one thing that I have learned through the I-Team books is that if you want to develop a sexual relationship, then a safe house with your sexy protector is a sure thing! ;o)

No comments: