Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hot Finish by Erin McCarthy


Title:   Hot Finish
AuthorErin McCarthy
My Rating: B

Genre: contemporary romance
Series: Fast Track #3
Main Characters: Suzanne & Ryder Jefferson
Release Date: August 2010
ISBN
978-0425235942 or 0425235947
Publisher: Berkley Sensation
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $6.39
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Desire is about to reach its peak.
Suzanne Jefferson is broke, which is why she's given up charity work for wedding planning. Fortunately, she has a high-profile client-and best of all, he's paid in advance. There are just two teensy problems: the bride is a bona fide bridezilla, and Suzanne's stock racer ex- husband is the best man. At least she though he was her ex-husband..

My Review:
Suzanne said it best, "...we're stubborn and emotionally stunted." Suzanne & Ryder have survived a marriage, pregnancy, miscarriage, and divorce and still managed to maintain their friendship, but that doesn't mean that they have ever learned how to actually communicate with each other...they haven't! They only know how to react to each other and that only works in a positive way for them in the bedroom.

This is not a happy book for a lot of the story. Ryder and Suzanne love each other desperately, but they can't seem to get together without everything ending in misunderstanding and hurt feelings. They lash out at each other (esp. Suzanne) constantly. It's heart-breaking to read, but it's those depth of feelings that makes this such a good book. When the HEA finally comes, it's like a prize. 

I adore Ryder's character! He has no qualms about the fact that he totally does not "get" Suzanne. For me, reading his thoughts, I feel sorry for all guys everywhere. I think that a lot of them feel just as flustered and confused as he does most the time. It gives him a really lovable side even though he has been a total man-slut throughout a lot of this series.

Suzanne is harsh. She lashes out whenever she feels even the slightest bit vulnerable...which is a LOT of the time when she is around Ryder. She cares about him and that means that he can hurt her like no one else can. She lashes out to keep that from happening. 

They are both so vulnerable and honestly scared of each other, that you can't help but love them and hope that their HEA is wonderful...and it is. I really enjoyed this book. I know that some people were disappointed with it, but having watched Suzanne & Ryder's interactions in the books previous to this one, I thought that Erin McCarthy did a wonderful job keeping these characters true to themselves. I was VERY HAPPY with the way that she wrote their story. 

I continue to love the interactions between the race car drivers. I love that they give each other hell, esp. as more and more of them become attached. The scenes that Erin gives us with these guys all together are absolutely fun with many laugh-out-loud moments. Love that and am looking forward to book #4!

3 comments:

SusiSunshine said...

I so adore this series and Ryder and Suzanne always will be special for me.

And I agree poor Ryder.

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

I've heard a little about this series. I remember the cover that is for sure! It sounds interesting and I love series that build on each other! :-D

Julie said...

Holy cow Christi, you got this book bang on! I love Ryder and you are right about Suzanne. She is harsh. And your line "When the HEA finally comes, it's like a prize." - great!