Friday, May 20, 2011

The Guy Next Door Anthology


Title:   The Guy Next Door
AuthorAnthology
My Rating: B overall

Genre: contemporary romance
Series: -
Main Characters: anthology
Release Date: February 2011
ISBN
978-0373775569 or 0373775563
Publisher: Harlequin
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $6.39
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Three sexy new spring-fling novellas from three of today's hottest contemporary romance authors!

Ready, Set, Jett by Lori Foster
My Rating: B
A vacation from her no-strings romance with her sexy next-door neighbor. That'swhat Natalie Alexander needs to get her head—and heart—together. But her solo trip south turns into a disaster when gorgeous Jett Sutter turns up with anotherchallenge.
My Review:
Overall, I enjoyed this little novella. There seemed to be a few bumps in the progression of the story where it didn't seem quite natural and a little forced, but I think that's because so much had to happen in such a short amount of time. This is a novella setting up a new trilogy by Lori Foster so it will be interesting to see how that progresses. But I really liked Jett & Natalie.
When You Dare - May, 2011
Trace of Danger - June, 2011
Savor the Fever - July, 2011


Gail's Gone Wild by Susan Donovan
My Rating: C+
Single mom Gail Chapman insists on chaperoning her teenage daughter's spring-break trip to Key West. But she never expects to face temptation—in the hunky form of Jesse Batista, the mysterious man in the cottage next door.

My Review:
Sweet, cute, but nothing real exciting. This story was an easy little read for a mental Key West vacation. Simply that- a quick little diversion featuring literacy-focused characters which was an added fun little detail.


Just One Taste by Victoria Dahl
My Rating: A
All-work-and-no-play businessman Eric Donovan won't be distracted by a "businesswoman" who's all wrong for him. Beth Cantrell owns a women's eroticashop! And she has a juicy little secret. Can she tempt him to put pleasure before business for once?

My Review:
Loved, loved, loved this novella, but warning-- it does NOT come with a HEA. The reason...this novella is the introduction to Victoria Dahl's newest trilogy. So at this time, there is not an HEA for Eric & Beth, but their's is the final book in the upcoming trilogy, Real Men Will, so I have faith that they will get it eventually.

All that aside, I really enjoyed this novella. I love the premise of the brewery as the setting for this trilogy- so fun! Add to that, Beth's place of business is an erotica shop- definitely good times all the way around! I always enjoy V. Dahl's style of writing and this one does not disappoint. I cannot wait for the trilogy!
Good Girls Don't - Sept, 2011
Bad Boys Do - Oct, 2011
Real Men Will - Nov, 2011

4 comments:

deannalynnc said...

I like how we thought differently of these books. Like I said yesterday, my hope from an anthology was having short novellas that contained a bigging, middle and end. So while I enjoyed Lori's story I was pissed at the end when it was just a way to promote a series. (I know dumb huh??!!) I really enjoyed Gail's Gone Wild because it gave me exactly what I wanted. Just one Taste was ok but another set up for a series so I was mad again. :-P I'm very happy that you enjoyed it and I'm interested to know how you feela bout both Dahl and Foster's series if you decide to read them.

Christi Snow said...

Deanna, if I had picked up the book without knowing that they were mostly intros into a series, I would NOT have been happy. BUT I plan on reading both series, so I am really excited about how they were intro'ed. It definitely creates a different outlook on the novellas. smiles...

deannalynnc said...

Oh that's so true Christi! I probably would have felt a lot differently about them if I would have known. Guess it shows that I should have done a lot more research before getting it from Net Galley to read! LOL. I did really enjoy the first book. I haven't read anything by Lori Foster before the anthology. I've heard great things about her. :-D

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I wish I liked novellas more but honestly most of the time they make me want more of the story. I might check this one out though :)