Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Eternal Kiss of Darkness by Jeaniene Frost


Title:   Eternal Kiss of Darkness
Author: Jeaniene Frost
My Rating: B+

Genre: Paranormal Suspense
Series: Night Huntress World #2
Main Characters: Mencheres & Kira
Release Date: July 2010
ISBN0061783161 or 
978-0061783166 
Publisher: Avon
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $7.99
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:

An immortal war has been brewing in the darkness . . .

And now one woman has stumbled into the shadows.

Chicago private investigator Kira Graceling should have just kept on walking. But her sense of duty refused to let her ignore the moans of pain coming from inside a warehouse just before dawn. Suddenly she finds herself in a world she's only imagined in her worst nightmares.

At the center is Mencheres, a breathtaking Master vampire who thought he'd seen it all. Then Kira appears—this fearless, beautiful . . . human who braved death to rescue him. Though he burns for her, keeping Kira in his world means risking her life. Yet sending her away is unthinkable.

But with danger closing in, Mencheres must choose either the woman he craves, or embracing the darkest magic to defeat an enemy bent on his eternal destruction.

My Review:
Mencheres is a 4000 year old Egyptian vampire that has been a consistent character throughout the Night Huntress series. Through that series, he has maintained a fairly uptight, reserved, staid persona that you would expect from a 4000 year old vampire. It's been easy to forget that he lives in a twenty something body. Add that to the fact that he's been celibate for 900+ years... you know, it's time for this poor guy to get some action.

Action comes in the form of Kira...30 yo private investigator, that's feisty, wise way beyond her years, smart, and just all-around good for Mencheres. She has a brave heart, a difficult history, and a courageous spirit that makes it hard for Mencheres to resist. The fact that he's on the verge of quitting it all means that this is the perfect time for Kira to enter his life. He need her to show him that there is something worth living for again.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. It wasn't quite as good as book #1 in the World series, but it was still really good. Lots of action and suspense. I had no idea how things were going to be resolved with everyone still intact. I liked Kira's incredible honesty. I liked all the appearances by Cat, Bones, and Vlad. I liked the glimpses of Vlad and his realization of how close to the edge Mencheres really was- these scenes were really emotionally moving.

I thought that Kira was the perfect match for Mencheres. I loved how she would stand up to him and how shocked everyone else was about her attitude to this incredibly powerful vampire. Some of those shows of power though were simply over-the-top for me, but I think that is really my only complaint about this book.

I hope that Jeaniene Frost continues writing the World series. I think that it's a great addition to the Night Huntress series. I love Cat & Bones, but it's nice to see further into the love lives of those around them too.

5 comments:

Amanda (On a Book Bender) said...

This book definitely had a different tone to it. Not quite as snarky, and a little more...emotional, maybe?

Christi Snow said...

Yes, there were definitely some emotionally charged scenes with this one esp. considering the fact that Mencheres is on the edge of committing suicide. That...and the fact that he is just a more serious guy made the whole book more serious. I really liked how J. Frost wrote Kira...she's so young compared to Mencheres' 4000+ age, but so many times, she was the one coming up with the solution to their problems. Really wise and mature...otherwise, I am not sure that I could have accepted their relationship. It was good...and I just wrote a whole other paragraph to my review...LOL! smiles...

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

She is continuing the spin-off series and creating a "cats and bones" type of series for Vlad (because you know he just can't be contained in one book LOL)!

I am so glad you are reading these! They are some of the best on the market :)

Christi Snow said...

I am so glad that she's writing a series for Vlad. I have LOVED him from the Cat & Bones books, but after this book...WOW! He was seriously crushed over Mencheres' state of mind. That says so much about how wonderful and loyal of a friend that he is and I know that we already knew that about his friendship with Cat...this just seemed so true and honest. I cannot wait for his books!!! J. Frost was saying today on her blog that she is starting up work on his stuff.... smiles!

Julie said...

Totally agree with you. A good addition but not as good as the first one. I too enjoy seeing what makes some of the beloved side characters from the Cat and Bones books tick. Always fun!