Sunday, May 15, 2011

Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison



Title:   Dragon Bound
AuthorThea Harrison
My Rating: A+

Genre: paranormal romance
Series: The Elder Races #1
Main Characters: Pia Giovanni & Dragos Cuelebre
Release Date: May 2011
ISBN0425241505 or 
978-0425241509
Publisher: Penguin- Berkley Sensation
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $7.99
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Half-human and half-wyr, Pia Giovanni spent her life keeping a low profile among the wyrkind and avoiding the continuing conflict between them and their Dark Fae enemies. But after being blackmailed into stealing a coin from the hoard of a dragon, Pia finds herself targeted by one of the most powerful–and passionate—of the Elder Races.
As the most feared and respected of the wyrkind, Dragos Cuelebre cannot believe someone had the audacity to steal from him, much less succeed. And when he catches the thief, Dragos spares her life, claiming her as his own to further explore the desire they’ve ignited in one another.
My Review:
Dragons are hoarders. They collect and hoard anything that catches their eye. Dragos is the most powerful of all the dragons and in a millennia, no one has ever located or touched his hoard.
Pia is a half-Wyr and mythical creature. From the earliest that she can remember, her mother taught her to hide what she is and to live a completely low profile life. Unfortunately, she fell for the wrong guy and in a moment of weakness she told him her secret. After they had broken up, he used that secret to pay off his gambling debt by blackmailing Pia. What does she have to do? Steal something from Dragos' hoard. She sees no alternative, so she goes in and steals a worthless penny...even leaves another in its place. Unfortunately, even with the lack of value, Dragos is not one to forgive & forget.
This is the first book in this series and it's a paranormal series. Normally, I suffer through these books because they are a necessary evil with lots of details to establish this "world." OMG, Thea Harrison is BRILLIANT! She has created a very complex, multi-layered, character-heavy world, BUT this book does NOT bog down AT ALL! OMG...it's awesome!
The writing in this book is nothing short of phenomenal. From page one, you are immersed into Pia's psyche and at first, her desperation. You can literally feel her panic. Writing at it's absolute best! You sink into this world heart and soul...and it's an amazing world.
Pia & Dragos are wonderful together. Their chemistry is sizzling, but honestly, they are just as much fun when they are talking. They both have a snarky sense of humor that comes out at the most surprising moments.
We also need to talk about the cast of characters in this book....YUMMY! Dragos surrounds himself with eight (I think that's the correct amount) sentinels...7 men and 1 woman (who is a Harpy.) They are all super-sexy and super-tough, but OMG...I love this cast of characters. They are dumbfounded by the change in Dragos after he comes back with Pia. They are some of his closest friends and the entire group makes it no secret that they consider each other to be family. This is going to be such a FABULOUS series! I cannot stress to you how good this book was and I can already see that the upcoming books are going to be just as good. We have already gotten to see glimpses of story lines in this first book and it's gonna be good!
The next book, STORMS HEART, will be out August 2, 2011...so make sure you get in on this series from the very beginning. You will not be sorry!

9 comments:

Amanda (On a Book Bender) said...

Okay, you convinced me. This is going on my to be read list. =)

SusiSunshine said...

This book got so much buzz and everyone seems to. love it. I actually think I can't resist the temptation any longer.
Great review.

Jen D. said...

I'm normally not into dragons at all but, you're enthusiasm over this book is making me want to give it a try. Great review. Thanks!

Christi Snow said...

I have to tell you girls that yes, I read paranormal, but it is probably not my genre of choice....or really even in my top 3 genres so this is NOT a book I would have picked up on my own. But the hype over this book is so correct...it's wonderful...paranormal aspect aside, this is simply a really GOOD book!!! And the paranormal aspect is pretty cool too!! ;o)

Amy said...

Read this last night..till this am...LOL..LOVED IT..thanks for an awesome reccomendation! Can't wait for Trick's story..another torturous wait!

Christi Snow said...

Yay, Amy! I am so glad that you got it and liked it!! At least we don't have to wait too long...only August! Then the 3rd book is out in, I am thinking, Oct or Dec...it's Rune's story. I cannot wait!

Now you NEED to go pick up UNLAWFUL CONTACT by Pamela Clare. I am typing that review right now....OMG, it was GOOD!!! smiles...

Julie said...

I'm only about 100 pages in so far but I am loving it so far. Each and every one of you who have read this and recommended it have been right on the mark!

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I bought this one after reading your review the other day :) I just haven't been able to comment! Another June book for me :)

deannalynnc said...

Man this is literally the 5th review I've read on this review and all of them have been great! I must read this book! Absolutely must. :-)