Saturday, May 21, 2011

Backstage Pass by Olivia Cunning


Title:   Backstage Pass
AuthorOlivia Cunning
My Rating: A++

Genre: erotic romance
Series: Sinners on Tour #1
Main Characters: Brian Sinclair & Myrna Evans
Release Date: October 2010
ISBN
978-1402244421 or 1402244428
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $10.19
Borders- $11.99
Sexual Intensity: erotic

Story Overview:
Five stunning guys, one hot woman, and a feverish romance...

For him, life is all music and no play...
When Brian Sinclair, lead songwriter and guitarist of the hottest metal band on the scene, loses his creative spark, it will take nights of downright sinful passion to release his pent-up genius...

She's the one to call the tune...
When sexy psychologist Myrna Evans goes on tour with the Sinners, every boy in the band tries to seduce her. But Brian is the only one she wants to get her hands on...

Then the two lovers' wildly shocking behavior sparks the whole band to new heights of glory...and sin...

My Review:
When am I going to learn to trust the book bloggers community implicitly?? This is a book that I picked up after reading many, many rave reviews about it. A story line about a rock band?...meh... But okay, EVERYone says it's good so I finally bought it... OMG!?! Seriously, why did I ever doubt you girls?!? This book was as good, if not even better, than you all said. OMG! I LOVED this book!!!

Myrna is a human sexuality professor who is at a hotel for a conference when she stumbles upon The Sinners, her favorite rock band, drinking in the bar. She's a fan- in fact, she uses the Sinners music for a lot of her class examples. The difference between her and other groupies- she's a 35 yo mature college professor. She doesn't fawn...much. She just talks to the guys like they are normal guys. I think that's why this book works so well. Her relationship with the entire band feels natural and easy- totally believable even in the middle of scorching sex with the guys watching. The writing on this book is phenomenal- it's just so easy to read and has an amazing flow to it. It's natural and beautiful.

There are some amazingly scorching sex scenes in this erotic romance, but the magic of the book is that it is not just about the sex (although those scenes are  REALLY good too.) This book is FULL of really deep meaningful characters...

*Myrna- divorcee who was verbally abused throughout her marriage and then almost killed by her ex after the divorce. She NEVER wants to be in an emotionally dependent relationship again.

*Brian- a pure romantic at heart. He falls quick. He falls completely. His whole heart goes into every relationship. He's the lead guitarist and the main songwriter for the Sinners.

*The band- Sed, lead vocalist; Trey, rhythm guitarist; Jace, bassist; Eric- drums
These are all really good guys and they are truly a family. They spends weeks on end touring on 2 tour buses so they are ALL in each other's intimate business constantly. They love each other and watch out for each other, but they all have their demons and it will be interesting to see each of their stories play out in their own books.

I cannot stress to you enough how much I enjoyed this book. I think that the gel to the entire story was Myrna and her ease with everyone in the band. She simply fit right into their lives. It will be interesting to see if the following books can remain as strong without Myrna as the main character. In this book she provides cohesion and insight into all of the character's psyche's which really made the book work so well for me.

And did I mention that this book was HOT?!? OMG, scorching...in so many different ways and different places. OMG...who would have guessed that such a mild-mannered professor could live it up with a rock band like this. 

I have fallen in love with the Sinners! I want to be a groupie for a band that doesn't even exist, so I guess that I will just have to live vicariously through the books and Olivia Cunning's website....

5 comments:

BookaholicCat said...

I loved this book too. Great review.

SusiSunshine said...

I already bought cuz of the same reason- the raving reviews. So can't wait to start it!
Sounds wonderful naughty. *g*

Julie said...

Yeah...hottest book I read last year. And the characters make it. I am so glad you loved this book!!!

Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

I did not read your whole review on this because I really want to read it without knowing much besides it's hot. LMAO. I've been avoiding reading all of the reviews for this book but I am SOOOOOOO happy you loved it! An A++ speaks for itself. This thing is on my kindle I just need to read it! :-)

Jen D. said...

Great review. I really need to jump on this bandwagon. I've got this one sitting on my Kindle so there's no excuse!